Hey, wasn’t sure if this was possible, and a few posts here seemed to indicate that it wasn’t, but it worked like a charm for me. Just 5 days ago I purchased and installed aTVFlash 3.6.1 and enabled an external 1.5 TB USB drive to be my main drive. I then synced about 600 GB of movies, tv shows and music from my mac to the aTV. Worked great!
Today I got the email that 3.6.2 was available. I downloaded it and created my patchstick. Now, how to upgrade aTVFlash and still have the external USB drive as my main drive. Sadly I didn’t find any encouraging words here on the forum, but here’s what I did:
- Unplug the aTV
- Remove the external USB drive and plug in the patchstick
- Plug in the aTV and let aTVFlash 3.6.2 install
- After installation completed, unplugged the aTV and removed the patchstick
- Plugged the external USB drive back in
- Plugged in the aTV and let it boot and finish the installation
Everything looked like it was still there!!! To verify:
- Closed iTunes on my mac so that media could not stream to my aTV. Everything still played!!!
- Started iTunes and told it to sync with the aTV. There were no files that needed to be synced!!!
Hope it’s that simple for everyone. There was absolutely no need to restore the mount points as there is if upgrading the aTV OS. Good Luck!