Subtitle Question

I have noticed for some movies the subtitles only show when needed (forced) and for others I need to enable them during the movie. For example, I recently watched the new X-Men Dark Phoenix and during the movie there are parts when an alien species is speaking and in order to understand what is being said, I have to manually go into subtitle and enable them. I would think these should be forced and show up automatically. I use the same software (MakeMKV) to make rips of all of my movies so just confused why some force automatically while others don’t.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

– S

Welcome to the forum!

Since I don’t use MakeMKV I did a little research and it seems that you are not alone in trying to figure out how to get the forced to work as it should.

I did a google search for “how to make forced subtitles in MakeMKV” (without quotes) and there are tons of references to the MakeMKV forum discussing just that. You may want to read through them and see if anything rings a bell on how you’re using MakeMKV.

Sorry I couldn’t just give ya a one line answer but it appears that there are many variables you’ll need to consider.