Streaming 4k Bluray Rips Bitrates

Hi,
I have a collection of ripped 4k Blurays from my collection. They are stored on a NAS and connected to my Apple TV via Ethernet. Local streaming ist all fine.
My family wants to access that library as well. They could add my NAS as a WebDAV server to their Infuse library and stream content.
My upload speed is 75 Mbit/s. From experience, would that be sufficient to stream 4k BDMVs? I know they frequently exceed the 75 Mbit, but I was hoping it could work with buffering and averaging.

Thanks
M

Try it. In fact, in most cases, 100 megabits is enough. But some BluRay and remuxs have an inflated bitrate. They will sometimes pause for buffering.
If you do not have the opportunity to increase the Internet speed, you can pause the movie when you start and wait a few minutes for buffering. It might help.

Well, I could upgrade my upload with my provider to 100 Mbit/s, but it would increase the monthly rate by 60%. And that’s kinda a lot just to be able to stream a hand full of movies to my sister and parents. That’s why I was hoping 70 Mbit/s would be fine with pre buffering and occasional drops in bitrate of the movie.

From my personal experience in internet speed I had 60mbps plan where it was like 8MB/s downloading speed so 4K files were fine until I played 60GB files they would buffer in between once a while but not very much.
later on upgraded on 100mbps plan where i get 13MB/s speed it doesn’t buffer ever unless my internet has issue.
so if you speed it like 75mbps or 10MB/s it would be good enough to upload 60GB remux files.

When viewing files that you have downloaded, there will be no decrease in bitrate. There will just be a frequent stop of playback for buffering. Lowering the bitrate is possible only in online streaming (Apple, Netflix etc)

People here have had a hard enough time playing 4K rips locally over WiFi, let alone over the internet. Technically the 4K blu-ray spec maxes out at 144Mbps. Although average bitrate will help you figure out roughly what you need, there will be variable bitrates throughout the video that are higher. You also have to remember that if you pay for 100Mbps, you might not regularly get that (although sometimes things are higher). you will need to account for other devices using your network too and make sure only one person is streaming at a time. Also the other person must be using Ethernet as this would definitely not work if any portion of the system is on WiFi. There will always be a performance hit when using file servers. You will not get a 1:1 bitrate of file bits to internet bits. There is an overhead for translating it over a network.

My average 4K UHD bitrate is maybe 60Mbps, max is 92Mbps (that is with a single hd audio track. If you rip differently it could add more).

This is not possible with Infuse. It always streams full quality.

So, what I would do is try doing 1080p Blu-rays with your existing network and see if it works without too much buffering. If you can get that to work then perhaps 4K could work if you increased speeds. But I don’t think your current 75Mbps would cut it.

You might consider setting up plex instead for that purpose which does cost money but might be less than increasing your internet speeds and allow for dropping quality with less buffering when needed.

Personally, I’d just try it.

It costs you nothing but the time to set it up to see if what you currently have will work. Then, you’d know what your current network and internet connection will provide.

Give it a shot! :wink:

Does infuse buffer ahead? As in I start a 4k vdmv movie, pause, let it buffer for 20 min and then watch it with the 75 Mbit/s speed? That would be totally fine for me.

It depends on what you have set for Streaming Cache, Auto is what you want to have so the disk based cache is enabled.

yes it does buffer ahead. there are many cache options you can try. Auto is best just leave the screen on after pausing video it will buffer ahead.

although probably not appriproate for an infuse forum but the use-case you describe is what Plex is for!

Do what I did.

Bring it with you in your pocket. Local streaming ftw!