Stream x265 (HEVC) videos to Chromecast

I had no issue with Airplay too. I just want to purchase a Chromecast for my bedroom tv. Apple TV is expensive.

I have the same trouble with infuse 6.0 try VLC player that works for me. Can cast HVEC with 5.1 AAC audio no problems.

iPhone X
IOS 13.3 (17C54)
Infuse Pro 6.2.5 (2888)

When I try casting .mkv files to Chromecast I get this error message:
Not available for this video type.

Is there any solution to this?
This dampened my enthusiasm about Infuse a bit since Infuse’s description on the App Store mentions mkv.
These mkv files do play on my iPhone, but they don’t cast to Chromecast.

The files I’ve tried were:
Dolor.y.Gloria.2019.1080p.NF.WEB-Rip.DDP5.1.HEVC-DDR[EtHD].mkv
Pajaros de verano (2018) @CanalesLocos.mkv

See attached images for technical details about these 2 video files.
They’re a screenshot from VLC’s Codec tab.

HEVC files aren’t supported for casting. Same limitation as airplay.

1 Like

oh ok.
The only app that was able to cast the aforementioned 2 mkv files was PlayerXtreme, however not satisfactorily.
The video image would appear and play on the screen but buffer every 2 seconds.

Will Infuse ever support casting HEVC?

This might be a limitation of your chromecast. Which one do you have? According to googles developer docs the only chromecast that supports h265 is the chromecast ultra.

My Chromecast is not the Ultra, it’s the 2nd gen, the one that got the update to support 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks over gen1.

So if I install Chromecast Ultra, is it guaranteed that those 2 H.265 files I mentioned before will play smoothly on Chromecast Ultra via Infuse?

As for PlayerXtreme, I guess it makes some sort of local conversion within the iPhone because with PlayerXtreme the video shows on Chromecast, but it buffers every 2 seconds, so that isn’t usable. But it’s a different behaviour than not showing the video at all with an error message on the phone saying that the format isn’t supported.

You’re right it’s probably doing a conversion hence the poor experience. As for the chromecast ultra working I have no idea as I don’t own one. There might be iOS limitations to consider as well. When dealing with chromecast the only assurance to a 100% guaranteed experience is when using android.

You could buy an ultra from amazon and if it doesn’t work return it.

Hi Everyone, apologies if this has been answered before. Very new to infuse, loving the player, expect I have a problem. All my movie files are in x265 format. When I go to chromecast a movie file from my iPad Pro to TV a message appears on the cast button saying “Not available for this video type”
It’s a shame as all my movies are in this format. Does anybody have any ideas?

Many thanks :+1:

Welcome to the forum!

I’m pretty sure that chromecast doesn’t currently support x265 but you may find more answers in this users guide.

Plex probably transcodes it to H.264.

I think only the chromecast Ultra supports h.265 with plex. Even then it can be finnicky and transcode to h.264.

I’m using Chromecast with Google TV the latest version. It clearly supports HEVC, and most streaming services like netflix use HEVC for their files too. I could Chromecast all apps except Infuse with HEVC. There’s no limitation from Chromecast side so is there any reason for Infuse not supporting HEVC video casting! Please support it all the best movie , Anime etc nowadays in HEVC format!

Just FYI: I use pCloud as my cloud service and i just tried using MomoCast app to Chromecast the HEVC files and it actually worked! So we know for sure it’s not the fault from the Chromecast side. Please Infuse i love your app update it to support Chromecast HEVC. You guys have been saying you’ll update since atleast 2018!

1 Like

Fully agree on this one. This is absolutely needed to be able to replace the original apps (like plex) fully.

1 Like

Hello,

The limitation about the H265 is something that can be updated or it’s a google cast limitation?

Lol I just saw this in 2023

1 Like

Unfortunately this makes infuse almost unusable for me. I have a Chromecast Ultra and cannot stream any of the files I have to my TV, every video says “not available for this type of video” when tapping the cast icon.

I have an older Samsung TV that does not support Airplay and don’t like the idea of having to purchase either a new TV or an Apple TV.

Since this thread exists for 6 years, is there any update?

any news?

I’ve scoured the Google for you but can find no reference to support being added to Airplay or Chromecast enabling the up-streaming of x265 video from Apple Devices to AppleTVs, Airplay enabled TVs, or Chromecast devices or Chromecast enabled TVs.

Why do you say this if Google docs clearly show H265 on Chromecast Ultra and Chromecast Google TV devices. Source

And I use another software, Airflow, which effortlessly streams H265/X265 to the Chromecast with Google TV.

So clearly it’s possible, but hasn’t been implemented by Infuse since this thread opened in 2017, (7 years ago!)

From your source: