Stream x265 (HEVC) videos to Chromecast

Recently I bought a chromecast 4k (Apple TV 4k is to expensive), but I trying to cast 4k movies which are encoded in x265 and I’m not able to do it (Same for 1080p movies x265). Do you guys implement this compatibility soon?
Supported Formats
This is the currently compatibility.
Container: MKV, MP4, M4V, AVI, MTS, M2TS, WebM
Video: H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, VP8
Audio: AAC, AC3 & E-AC3, DTS & DTS-HD, FLAC, MP3, OGG

3 Likes

No one?

Yes, support for Casting x265 based videos is something we plan to add.

2 Likes

Thanks. Hope It’ll release soon

When I try to cast 4k x265 content to my chromecast 4k an error occurs and I just can see them through my iDevice

1 Like

Hello,

I recently picked up a Chromecast to use when travelling with Infuse, but despite the video being an MP4 file I get the error “Not available for this video type” - however the support documentation (Google Cast 101 (iOS only) – Firecore) says that MP4 is supported. Could anyone give me some pointers as to where to start troubleshooting this?

Welcome to the forum.

Chromecast devices support a handful of formats, but it’s what inside the MP4 that really matters. Currently Chromecast streaming supports h.264 and VP8 video formats.

We’re working to add support for h.265 and VP9 (when streaming to Chromecast Ultra) for an upcoming version.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply James. When I get home I’ll have a poke at the file itself and see what’s inside it (hard to do on an iPad!). I did find other files which played perfectly which was fabulous.

Lack of Chromecasting HEVC videos is interesting, especially since h.263 (divx, not xvid) play’s while it’s listed as unsupported in the dev docs (And’ve I’ve re-read it through several revisions) for chromecast (I tested with a ChromeCast 2).
[ FYI: Supported Media for Google Cast  |  Google Developers ]

This made me assume that the chromecast loaded component or some part of the sdk was checking to see if the chromecast was checking and reporting the encapsulated media was valid and not relying on an infuse based whitelist.

The concept made me wonder if using a nvidia shield (which is listed as supporting the same codecs over chromecast as the CC2-Ultra [hevc + more native compatible] as well as xvid would be capable of xvid file media playing - something that would tempt me to purchase it (as I’ve been on the verge on deciding on getting a Chromecast 2 Ultra for a long time now).

Are there any support/dev techs that could explain this? btw I am a beta tester, and I had always considered Infuse to be one of those apps that would allow you to test if a particular media stream format was hw compatible with the cast media receiver.

Additionally I’m curious if chromecasts will ever be able to support color coded srt subtitles, I assume the TVOS release would, Though that leaves questions such as would airplay display colors, support .sub image based files, and/or if airplay is purely a transcode or if it works like chromecasting, does it decode on the ATV itself if the codec is supported?

Lastly should I split this posts questions into separate posts - perhaps in the beta forum for more informed responses?

Hey team! Love the app, it’s the perfect combo of Plex and VLC with cloud support

Finally I can start using my Apple devices more as my main devices vs having to run android devices to do what I need to do.

I was wondering when you think we will have the ability to cast x265 videos to our TVs? X264 is fine but x265 says not available for this video type.

I can cast these fine on my Android device using different apps but really want to be able to do it from my Apple device. Any idea when this feature will be added?

I want this support so I can buy your app it’s the answer to all my needs with exception of that

(10bit x265 videos playback perfectly on the devices they just wont cast)

Welcome to the forum!

Casting h.265 video is something we’ll be working to integrate for an upcoming version.

1 Like

Glad to hear! Can’t wait till it hits, this app has surpassed all my expectations, very clean love the metadata fetch it’s like Plex 2.0 and once casting is on it for x265 I can’t imagine anything else!

Thanks for the great work, hope it gets more publicity. I sell for Verizon and will definitely be pitching this to my apple customers on a regular basis

Hello James,
could you elaborate on the timeframe for the ability to cast h.265 videos ?

I just began a trial of Infuse Pro on iOS and had the “Can’t cast this format” ruin my last movie night :frowning:

Sorry your movie night got ruined. Here is where you can see the latest list of what’s coming in Infuse. There are no definite dates for each release obviously due to development time variables but it’s a good indicator. Upcoming Features (updated 12/19/23)

It looks like there are some improvements in Google Cast coming in 5.7.5 but remember, 5.7.4 isn’t out the door yet and features listed in the “What’s Coming” section are fluid and may change dependent upon development needs.

Thanks NC Bullseye !

@James : could you clarify if the upcoming 5.7.5 version will allow casting h265 videos ?

Hi,

Can Infuse cast HEVC files to Chromecast Ultra?

The answer will change my decision on which Chromecast to purchase.

Edited: Sorry I posted under the wrong section. Moved to iOS instead.

I can only say that I tried to Google cast a 4K HDR movie in HEVC from Infuse to my Bravia (which can act as a Chromecast Ultra) and Infuse after pressing the Google cast icon told me that the format isn’t supported for casting. Actually I see now there is an info button which open this link: Google Cast 101 (iOS only) – Firecore

It says:

Supported Formats

Container: MKV, MP4, M4V, AVI, MTS, M2TS, WebM
Video: H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, VP8
Audio: AAC, AC3 & E-AC3, DTS & DTS-HD, FLAC, MP3, OGG

No H.265/HEVC. So, nope. I’m afraid it won’t work.

1 Like

Ah that’s disappointing to know. I may get a regular chromecast instead then.

Anyone knows if infuse plan to add this feature in a future update though?

I believe it’s a limitation with the cast protocol itself. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Well, the Chromecast Ultra does support HEVC, so it follows the protocol must support it as well (otherwise HEVC would be useless I suppose).

Chromecast Ultra

H.264 High Profile up to level 5.2 (2160p/60fps)
VP8 (2160p/60fps)
HEVC / H.265 Main and Main10 Profiles up to level 5.1 (2160p/60fps)
VP9 Profile 0 and Profile 2 up to level 5.1 (2160p/60fps)

High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Dolby® Vision™
HDR10
Dolby Vision is a trademark of Dolby Laboratories, Inc.

PS: No issues AirPlaying 4K HDR HEVC content. But as this point I just use the native App on my ATV 4K. :smiley:

1 Like