Stream from a iMac to iPad when NOT at home

Hi.

This is my setup.

iMac with an SMB share
Infuse on my iPad
Router Asus RT-AX58U

I want to be able to stream stuff from my iMac to my iPad when I’m not at home, but on some other Wifi network. How do I do this?

I understand that I might need a Dynamic DNS? Can I skip that and just open some ports and setup to my IP direct or something?

I don’t have a permanent IP but I´m willing to risk it changing while Im gone (but will it though, if my iMac is running for the whole time and is not rebooted?)

Please EiLI5, my knowledge of routers and networking is very limited.

EDIT
I just installed PLEX and it has remote viewing. Everything’s cool now.
However, it would be nice to be able to do this without PLEX.

Take a look at this article. It might have some helpful info. Dynamic dns isn’t required and from my experience my ip only changes when I power cycle my router. Your iMac can always forward you its current ip via some program I’m sure. Problem is if the ip changes then you will have to remove and re-add the share and then it will have to rescan all of the files again.

Thank you, I looked at that article yesterday and I couldn’t really understand it, to complex for a dummy like me.

I just installed PLEX and it has remote viewing. Everything’s cool now.
However, it would be nice to be able to do this without PLEX.

Still EILI5

Though you’ve already sorted this out with Plex, you can always set up a VPN. I usually VPN into my network to access my networked HDD. Works great

1 Like