Spatial audio for AirPods Pro

Amazing!

To the Devs, are there different virtual “rooms” in spatial audio? The one with Plex old player has much less reverb and sounds more in your head than the ones in the native Apple TV app and now infuse.

To anyone having sync issues, use the wireless sync calibration. The problem with OLEDs is that different refresh rates have different delays. It’s annoying so I keep everything at 60hz now

1 Like

Using Plex’s ‘old player’ simply uses Apple’s native player, which gets spatial audio automatically. This player is very limited with the formats and features it can support so it’s not a viable option for Infuse.

The implementation in Infuse 7.2 uses the latest APIs from iOS/tvOS 15, which I suppose could perform differently than past APIs from iOS 14. Apple has been pushing spatial audio pretty hard since WWDC, and there have been quite a few technical changes in iOS/tvOS 15.

Of course, the actual videos you’re playing can have an impact on how things sound, as different titles have different channel layouts and mixing.

1 Like

Excited to give this a go! I was finally able to dink around again this week with my Airpods and can confirm that the wireless audio sync and keeping match frame rate off seems to have mostly fixed lip sync issues. I swear that TV+ still finds a way to screw up sync though. As mentioned above I have an LG OLED as well (actually 3 of them lol).

Working great so far. I’ve played parts of Arrival (DTS 7.1) and Baby Driver (TrueHD Atmos) and it’s a go!

3 Likes

Yes, same for me but I notice that when I turn Match Framerate off that then I get the soap opera effect in an infuse movie. It seems that one is always step behind.

I fumbled around with the TV settings but didn’t really grasp where this is coming from.

Hmmm I definitely don’t get the soap opera effect when doing it, otherwise I wouldn’t consider it an option. I’m not sure where the disconnect would be.

woohooo time to splurge on airpods pro now!

Most of my files are Dolby Digital 5.1, but when I turn on Spatial Audio on my Apple TV 4K the option for infuse is “Spatial Stereo”. Sounds awesome on my AirPods Max, but why aren’t I getting surround?

Can you check to ensure you’re running 7.2? The version info can be found by scrolling to the bottom of Infuse > Settings.

Thanks James.

Yes - it says Infuse Pro 7.2 (3859)

Do these videos have multiple audio tracks?

Can you check to ensure a 5.1 track is selected in the Audio section of the Playback Menu (swipe down while a video is playing).

That was it! Thank you so much - it sounds incredible through these AirPod Max. Wow.

Looks like a bunch of my movies have both 2.0 and 5.1 tracks, and Infuse seems to default to 2.0. Any way I can have it default to 5.1, or do I just need to manually make sure?

Thanks again. Happy customer right here.

Hooray! :raised_hands:

It sounds like the 2.0 tracks may be tagged as ‘default’, so that is why Infuse is selecting them.

You can have Infuse ignore this tag by changing the Audio Language option in Infuse > Settings from Auto to your desired language.

Great. Thanks again!

5 posts were split to a new topic: Enhanced spatial audio support (Atmos)

Thank you so much James!! I tested it last night with a couple files and formats and it all worked beautifully :partying_face: No more remuxing & re-encoding audio to make it work. Now it just works™ :partying_face:

4 Likes

As someone with shared walls that can’t always take advantage of my surround system, I can’t overstate how huge this feature is for me. I don’t feel like I’m missing too much of the experience now when I have to switch to headphones at night. I look forward to seeing if there is a touch of improvement left for lossy Atmos audio that would match what you get with Netflix and TV+. Thank you @james for your quick implementation of spatial audio!

6 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Heads up on AirPod & Beats sale

A post was split to a new topic: Muffled audio with Airpods Max and spatial audio

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.