Sonos and down mix to DD 5.1

So, as I’m sure many are aware, Sonos only accepts Dolby Digital 5.1 so DTS 5.1 or DTS HD 5.1, or Dolby True HD for that matter, need to be down mixed to DD 5.1.

To achieve this and ensure that I’m still feeding the Sonos 5.1 and not 2.0 my Apple TV is on the following settings:

Infuse
Audio: Auto

Apple TV
Audio; DD 5.1

Is this the best way? Or would Passthrough on Infuse then DD.5.1 on Apple TV be better?

Cheers for any advice!

I would gladly take advice as well on the matter, my set is a Samsung 55h6400 and a soundbar Samsung HW-H750, what is the best setting to make sure I’m feeding the soundbar proper signal. It can play DD 5.1 and DTS as far as I know…

After some playing around, setting Infuse audio on “Auto” and the Apple TV on DD 5.1 gets me the best results and definite proper surround sound when fed with a 5.1 or 7.1 source.

I’ll try that :wink: thx

Setting Infuse to pass through and Apple TV to auto flat out doesn’t work.

Presumably setting both to auto will also send pcm versions of the surround mixes which my soundbar can’t handle via optical anyway. So auto and 5.1 were the only way to go.

I don’t understand. My Apple TV 4K is set to “best available” audio. And Infuse to “auto” and I get surround sound output on my Sonos Playbase. I will test it with setting the Apple TV to “DD 5.1” though. Maybe I will get a better quality?

The settings you have are the correct ones for Sonos. Switching from best available to DD 5.1 doesn’t really make a difference. I think I was talking out of my backside a bit earlier. Apologies.