Some problems with the apple tv and atvflash. USB Storage

I’m experiencing a lot of problems with my apple tv.
I need to solve them one by one and i hope you’ll help me.

The goal with my sistem is to have one small and sexy mediacenter in the livingroom: after a while, I found the best solution to be the apple tv with XBMC.
[color=#0000BF]First of all a question: when you have the apple tv running (and wired to a switch) and you have iTunes running on your pc or mac, what do you see when you select the apple tv from the left menù? I’m only able to see the general tab and the photos one. On the atvflash’s site i saw a picture where there were much more tabs. I tried everything, but I’m not able to make them appear.[/color]

Second: I really can’t have the USB disk to be recognized. It was NTFS, so I formatted it in FAT32. No way. Smart installer ran, apple tv disconnected and reconnected, usb cable unplugged and replugged (both with the apple tv on or off) but there’s just nothing to do. This night I’ll try another usb drive I’ve got, and a usb stick too to see if it is a disk problem (wich I normally use with the pc just flawlessy). The disk is a 1 TB Western Digital My Book Professional

I’ve got more problems to solve, but this is a prerogative.

Thank you all.

Try adding some movies and music to your iTunes library and you’ll see the tabs appear

Thank you for your reply.
In fact, I have A LOT of music in my iTunes. I don’t have a movie (just because when I try to ad some, they simply don’t appear - think this is due to file format support).
What can you say ?

I tried connecting my USB stick, and it worked. So this must be a disk problem.

I need a new drive. Since the first prerequisite must be the silence, I was thinking about this
http://www.monclick.it/schede/prodotto.asp?Codice=301389EK&utm_source=kelkoo&utm_medium=comparatori&utm_term=301389EK&utm_campaign=hard%20disk&HTTP_REFERER=http://kelkoo/&tduid=0f6207e0c019c9f8870ccceec04a9710
sorry is in italian.

what do you think ? I need it to be a iTunes FS too - and this is - and I can put it on the net to use with the networked computers too.

Please let me know what you think. Other suggestions are welcome.

As I found the problem with the USB port, now there’s another.

On iTunes, in the apple tv, I’m only able to see the general and photos tabs. This is the same from the origin, even before I made the first upgrade to ATV Flash. I saw a picture on the atv flash’s site that was showing that screen, and there was a lot of tabs. Why can’t I have them too ? What am I missing ?

Changing from ‘automatic sync’ to ‘custom sync’ in iTunes will give you more tabs and more control over what gets synced to the AppleTV.

Changing from ‘automatic sync’ to ‘custom sync’ in iTunes will give you more tabs and more control over what gets synced to the AppleTV.[/quote]

Great. Where can I change it ? I searched all over iTunes and I found nothing. This command is present on the iPhone General tab, and so on the iPod general tab, but the Apple Tv general tab have nothing to change

I bought the LaCie drive I spoked about.
Its a great drive, fanless and very silent (no vibration).
If you like, I suggest you to wait for the release of the second version, wich has got a better webserver with bittorrent protocol and so on. It should be already available, but on the LaCie store is out of order, and the shops I asked said it woul be available after xmas.

Now I’m able to see a networked drive on the apple tv. Anyway, there’re a bunch of new problems. I’n gonna open a new thread for those problems, since they aren’t USB problems.
Please reply to my question on the previous post.

Changing from ‘automatic sync’ to ‘custom sync’ in iTunes will give you more tabs and more control over what gets synced to the AppleTV.[/quote]

Great. Where can I change it ? I searched all over iTunes and I found nothing. This command is present on the iPhone General tab, and so on the iPod general tab, but the Apple Tv general tab have nothing to change[/quote]

I reset to factory settings the apple tv, upgraded it to 3.0.1, rejoined to iTunes and now I’m able to sync with iTunes. There must have been some kind of problem with the registration of the apple tv.