Some newbie questions

I could not find a better location for my questions so hopefully I won’t be shot putting then here.

Ok my setup is not ideal, running a the audio system as following atv 4k → atmos soundbar with extra speakers → hue sync → lg 4k tv with dolby vision and hdr support hosted by a plex server and client

Running the setup like this has proven being most reliable for as no need for transcoding and much better sound than arc or any other connection methods (video is pass through on the soundbar)

Ok enough about the setup, but untill now i just used 1080 video files and the plex client never really had any issues. Video and sound both seemed fine, but when the lotr hdr 4k with truehd atmos came out the plex client struggled extremely (sound transcoding, choppyness for example the intro scene in two towers you can visually see the mountains chop) (video is not transcoding, truehd is)

This is where infuse comes in; I remembered i had a pro subscription to infuse i never used after plex got better at direct streaming, but just wanted to test. Same setup, same movie and plex say it direct streaming video AND truehd audio plus no choppyness.

How can this be if atv does not support truehd? Am I missing sound quality at some place like in plex client transcoding? Or does the soundbar really get atmos truehd with the meta data for the 3d effect atmos give?

I would be happy to use infuse now since it plays 4k so much better and can direct stream audio, but have more questions that i will ask in a separate post to not make this too long.

The gist of this post is why does infuse handle 4k hdr with truehd without transcoding while the plex client does not and are chopping and transcoding audio, and do i loose anything bu infuse not transcoding?

Glad to hear things are working well for you in Infuse. :slight_smile:

A bit more info on the audio options and capabilities available in Infuse for Apple TV can be found here.