This is my (new!) setup:
- Switch Ethernet Netgear GS308 with 8 ports at 1Gbps
- Apple TV 4K wired to the switch
- ZyXEL NAS 326 wired to the switch running smbd version 4.1.7
iPerf3 reports up to 940Mbps between my MacBook Pro (connected to the same switch) and the NAS. It reads the files in the NAS at up to 110-115MByte/s.
And these are my issues:
- Skipping back/forth 10s may take 1 or 2 seconds with high nitrate videos
- Skipping back/forth 10s the audio always has a delay of another (about 0,5-1,5s?)
- Planet Earth II in 4K HDR (well… you know which ones…) micro-stutters
If instead I play the same video in Infuse via DLNA from a Plex server all those issues are (usually) greatly reduced. Planet Earth II doesn’t stutter either. Using the Plex client the experience is even better. Sure, the rare times that messed up Plex server doesn’t start transcoding for nothing or crashing, typical with HDR content…
I have read in another thread that Infuse was using SMB 2 (is it still the case)? Is there any chance it can get improved… soon?