Some Mac interface evolutions

Hi,
I open this topic to suggest some modifications of the Infuse macOS interface.

First, I noticed 2 bugs :

• “En cours” menu: why, there are only TV series and neither movies nor videos as for “Recently added”?
  • “Series TV ajoutées récemment” home screen limited to 4 maximum (for comparison, recent films limit to 30)?

Some suggestions to improve the interface :

• Allow horizontal scrolling on the first row of the home screen (like on tvOS)
  • Split this row of the home screen into 2 (as for the tvOS app): “Continue to watch” with just 2 or 3 media and “Recently added” with ~ 10 media
  • For the “Autres” menu (renamed “Videos” for me) : change the thumbnail format to display a 16/9 format. In general, these videos do not have an official cover (personal or YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo …). I’ve made the same suggestion for tvOS app
  • Just as suggested for tvOS, modify the presentation of the information of the “media screen”

Today :

After modifications :

• Edit the title so that it is more visible.
  • Move the technical informations under the title : enrich with the logos that correspond (4K, HDR10, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, etc.)
  • Regarding the distribution (casting) :
    • replace the icons with artist photos (from TMDB), and “Actors” by the role in the film
    • Provide a link with the artist when you click on it: displays the list of films where he appears in the library

I hope you can take some inspiration from these suggestions to make Infuse even more fun than it already is.

Best regards,

Vincent

1 Like

If you check the upcoming features thread you’ll see that some of your suggestions are already scheduled.

I won’t duplicate this response in your other thread like this one since it pretty much is duplicated here. :wink:

I don’t see another MacOS interface thread so I’ll add some of my own suggestions here.

Mainly, I’m not a fan of the home page. Although I understand if the organization is “distinctly Infuse,” I wish there were more customization options. For example, I feel like a lot of the artwork is too small. Plex has a slider in the top right of the main interface to adjust artwork size, I enjoyed that. I make posters for some of my content even, and I like to see that nice and big when I browse my library.

Another thing is that I wish the “Recently Added” section was divided into movies and TV – it feels weird that movies and TV are displayed side-by-side.

Also, what is the section at the top? It looks like it has some of the recently played + recently added + finished movies? I have no idea to be honest. I like the card style, but I feel like it would look a lot better if the “On Deck” section was in cards instead of posters, to replace this, like Jellyfin does its library. Again I’m not sure if this is one of those “distinctly infuse” features – but anyway.

I think all of these things could be solved with just some more customization options for the home page. The option to choose artwork size, posters or cards, to re-organize different parts of the screen, all that.

Lastly I just feel like the app is a little clunky. It feels more suitable for an Apple TV rather than mouse. Although this might be partially attributed to the speed of the app – which I’m sure will be improved over time. (When I click, it takes .5-1 second to load.) The whole app could really be put on one-screen application rather than tabbed – if there are home page sections for Movies, TV, Collections, etc, then tabs for stuff like “By Genre” wouldn’t really be necessary, and opening a whole other tab for these options (especially when each of the buttons in there take up like 1/4 of the screen) seems strange. If it was condensed to a single page, then Files could be easily put into a button in the top-right.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my suggestions.
- Matt