Some files are constantly being rescanned

There are five movie files that constantly show up in the ‘Other’ category and have to be rescanned ever single time. Presumably this has something to do with the naming of the files? Is there any way I can find out the names of the problematic files?

If you can post the current file names for the 5 trouble files exactly as they are on the server we can see if we can help you rename them so they are correct.

I’ll do that, but how can I find out the names of the trouble files?

When you’re in “Others” with one of the trouble files highlighted press and hold until you get the choices to “Mark as Watched (or Unwatched)” and “Edit Metadata”. The actual file name will be just above that…

Ugh, of course! Here are the filenames:

Impossible (2012)
Lion King 1.5 (2004)
Louis C.K. Oh My God (2013)
Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (1943)

Note that I always trim off the articles (like ‘the’ and ‘a’) of the filenames. This makes it easier to type-find the files in my network share, and quite simply it looks more pleasant. 99% of the time, the scanner handles this just fine. So files 1, 2 and 4 have ‘The’ trimmed off.

themoviedb.com does not have a film by that name … they do have one called “The Impossible (2012)”

Lion King 1.5 (2004)

The problem is the ‘.’ In ‘1.5’, you will probably have to match manually using the Edit Metadata button.

Louis C.K. Oh My God (2013)

Same problem with ‘.’, but in this case I suggest removing them and see if that works

Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)

Same problem as previous, again try removing ‘.’s

Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (1943)

themoviedb.com has the year 1942 for this film, not 1943

Okay, first thing is to replace the word “The” in the titles. If its part of the actual name then the moviedb site will be looking for it to match. A side note, Infuse ignores the word “The” when sorting for alphabetical sorts when it’s the first word in a title. It uses the following word for alphabetical listings.

Next, for the lion king movie, use 1.1/2 instead of 1.5.

For The man from U.N.C.L.E use uncle without the period separators. The move name is said man from uncle, not man from u space n space c space etc so using the word uncle gets the name the first time.

Same idea for louis C.K. Use louis.ck.

And remote visitor was correct as to the year being the issue on the Sherlock Holmes file.

The following file names will find the correct metadata without you having to go back over and over.

The.Impossible.2012.mkv
The.Lion.king.1.1/2.2004.mkv
Louis.ck.oh.my.god.2013.mkv
The.Man.From.uncle.2015.mkv
Sherlock.Holmes.and.the.Secret.Weapon.1942.mkv

You can use what ever extension you actually have, I just have a batch of “mkv” test files I can change names on to verify metadata fetching.

Thanks a lot! All seems to be good now.

Do I understand it correctly that, once a file is matched and metadata is fetched, it doesn’t ever need to be rescanned? It’s weird that, although the 5 files were matched correctly, they ended up in ‘limbo’ and had to be rescanned every time.

Your quite welcome, glad to share the knowledge gained here fighting earlier battles.

Usually it sticks, now if you move the file to a different directory or change even a letter in the file name or move upper directories it will see that as a change and rescan things.

The file names I gave you should stick and shouldn’t end up in the “others” category. I tested them myself and Infuse ate them just fine.