Slow and Choppy Playback whilst streaming HD from Time Capsule.

Hi,

I have just started to use this software but seem to have problems with streaming HD content from my time capsule (wireless and wired)

before playback begins im warned i may experience slow or choppy playback.

Is there anything i can do to speed up the connection?

Thanks

What type of files are you having trouble with?

If you’re able to run one of the files through MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) and send in the specs we can take a look.

Hi James,

Thanks for getting back to me. They are AVI and MKV files… I have been reading the forums and noticed something about AVI… Is this a known issue?

Im just running Mediainfo and will post results.

Thanks again.

[[wysiwyg_imageupload:114:]]

Is this what you meant?

Hi, i also get problems with streaming HD content from my NAS.

ATV 2 5Ghz Wireless >>> Timecapsule >>> connected with ethernetcable - NAS (NAS = HDD connected to a router that providesa SMB share)

Playback with/to a MBP runs fine with all files.

what can i do?

Here the Logs from Mediainfo

HD file = SLOW AND CHOPPY

HQ file = SLOW AND CHOPPY

LQ file = runs like a charm but poor quality :frowning:

sorry for my bad english but it is not my native language

zenyte

Thanks. That particular file is an xvid video, and as of right now there is very limited support for this file type on the AppleTV.

We hope to improve this in a future version.

HQ #1

This file was encoded with 50 FPS, which unfortunately the AppleTV is not able to handle. Most commercial content is encoded with 24-30 FPS.

HQ #2

This is an AVC video (which is supported) in an AVI container. Unfortunately AVIs are not currently able to use the AppleTV’s hardware decoding feature. We’re hoping to address this in a future version. This same video in a MKV or MP4 container would work fine.

Thank you for your help James,
i’ll try with HQ-quality in a different container.

i’m download my videos from a Onlinevideorecorder,
i hope they will provide a other format/container for download.

Anyway, thank you for aTV Flash black - Like it :slight_smile:

Zenyte

Thanks for your help James.

I seem to be having similar problems, but all my files are M4V containers (repacked from MKV with Subler) including added soft SRT subtitles (which are not shown using the Media player). I’ve experienced the problems with various files, even though my AppleTV is connected directly via Ethernet to my TimeCapsule (newest model) on which the movies are located.

I don’t get any warning about choppy video, but the player stops for buffering constantly and finally notes that the connection may be too slow for playback (which it is not).

The AppleTV itself has no problems playing the video (including subtitles), although the video seems smoother in Media player.

I have attached MediaInfo for one of the files.

Support for Timed Text subtitles (common in Handbrake & Subler) will be available in the next version, which we’re hoping to have ready before the Holiday.

The best way to address your buffering issues may be to submit a bug report.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply - looking forward to the next version! :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!

-Anders

Hi,

Something quite strange happened.

Last week, everything was fine with my .ts files of 1,8GB 53mins (1440*1080) through WLAN.

I updated media player and now for those previously playing seamlessly files, I get the warning message (choppy playback) and everything is stuck and unwatchable. Any idea on what you may have modified that produce this ? Any workaround (apart from re-encoding, please) ?

Thanks in advance

the file conf in mediainfo

Hi,

I also have this message “You may experience slow or choppy playback…” on various movies. But instead of posting MovieInfo output for all these files I would prefer a list of formats and container and combination of those that are fully supported by media player. The reason is that most of my movies are DVD Rips without recoding. The only difference is that I have used various programs to convert the DVD to a file and as such I have now a plenty of file formats but I cannot find any logic what is now fully supported and what format causes this message

Progrmas I used where: MPEGStreamclip, AnyDVD with CloneDVD, MakeMKV or simply concatenated .VOB
Formats I have are: .vob, .iso, .mkv, .mpeg, .mov

but video format is always MPEG-2 and audio format is mostly ATSC A/52A (AC-3)

So please let me know what is the list of fully supported formats using the above mentioned codec.

I agree it would be nice to have a definitive list, but I do not think it is as simple as that. 

As I understand it variables such as resolution and frame rate come into play.  Also relevant will be the bit rate as most codecs allow this to be varialbe according to the quality one is trying to achieve.   I suspect that trying to get a handle on how all these variables interact is one of the reqasons that FireCore always like to have more detail on the speciific videos that cause people problems.

If Media Player knows when to present the message, then it should be possible to communicate that logic to the users as well, so we can apply the same logic before we convert our media. In other words I don’t agree that this is not easy.

As I understand it, Media Player does not have any fixed criteria for displaying this message.   Instead it is done empirically when the layer of software that is repsonsible for network access (and any tanscoding required) has trouble keeping up with the layer that handles output over the HDMI.   As some of these values (e.g. the network layer ones) will vary for each user even with identical video files then it is hard to give definitive answers.   Tuning at any level is likely to have complex timing  interactions with other levels, although hopefully the net results over time are beneficial.

I think this is one of the reasons that one reads about so many variations in what different users finds works well.   

This message appears before he even tries to buffer the video. So he must know in advance. I don’t believe that this message appears upon empirical measurements. And even then there is some logic in Media Player I certainly would like to know. Even more, without knowing which formats are supported, how should I know how to RIP/Convert my DVD/BDs? I have not enough time for empirical tests. I have no such issues with other media players (e.g. WDTV Live).