Skip forward/backward slow

I’m trying out Infuse and for the most part, seem to like it. There’s a few issues I’d like to figure out.

I have a local Plex Media server connected via ethernet. I can watch almost any of my 100s (or maybe 1000s) of saved movies and TV episodes, but I’m finding if I skip forward or backwards 10 seconds, it’s somewhat slow. With other apps I’ve used, skipping forward or backward is instantaneous. However with Infuse (6.6.2) it takes almost a second to respond. This is too slow when I’m trying to skip forward or backwards maybe a minute or two and have to skip 5 or 10 times.

I’m using an IR remote and skipping is almost instantaneous with other media apps and even with most streaming apps.

Is this a problem with Infuse or perhaps something with my setup?

– Andy

Welcome to the forum!

I know that with the Siri remote that comes with the ATV you can fast click 4 or 5 times and it will jump the combined total. It does take a second or two but not much. I don’t use plex so I can’t compare but it’s tolerable for me.

How long does it take to start a movie?

Also when you say it takes a second or so to respond meaning a second for infuse to recognize the click or a second for it to resume playback?

Can you tell if the buffer is loaded (filled in progress bar)?

Also which Apple TV do you have?

PS I don’t have plex so can’t debug with you there

It takes about 3 to 5 seconds to start a movie or TV episode. And now it’s only taking about half a second to skip backwards (and by that, I mean for playback to resume - the click is recognized immediately). I’m not sure why, but yesterday it was taking at least two seconds to do the same action. I don’t believe the server was busy and it was working better in other apps.

And today, for some reason, Plex doesn’t seem to recognize my server (which it has without any problem for the last 3 years). I also have MrMC, and it seems to be working fine. But comparing the delay there, today the delay is about the same.

FYI, the buffer is mostly loaded - I’m just trying to skip backwards 20 or 30 sec. And I have the Apple TV 4K with the latest OS update.

So at this point, there doesn’t seem to be any significant problem.

1 Like

One other thing, unless you just have to have Plex running you may want to try running Infuse only. It’s pretty good at gathering metadata and presenting it. You may be able to cut back on the bloat of having to run an additional software package in plex.

Glad your running well now.

It also may have been that with a new install, Infuse does have to go through your library and look at all of the files so that may have been going on when you noticed the delays.

Now it turns out that the problem does still exist for a series of TV episodes I’ve been watching. For all these episodes (which are all in the same format), skipping forward or backwards takes 2+ seconds. The skip is recognized immediately, but it takes that 2+ seconds before the video starts playing. Using other media players on my AppleTV, it’s less than a half-second before it starts playing the same show.

Other media I’ve tried (about a dozen other movies and TV shows of both 1080p and 720p) seem to work fine. Here’s some info about the this media:

Matroska: 1.75 GiB, 32 min 35 s
1 Video stream: AVC
2 Audio streams: E-AC-3 / E-AC-3 JOC
3 Text streams: UTF-8 / UTF-8 / UTF-8

Duration: 32 min 35 s
Overall bit rate mode: Variable
Overall bit rate: 7 708 kb/s
Encoded date: UTC 2021-02-28 17:21:32
Writing application: mkvmerge v43.0.0

The video is 1080P at 6.682 mb/s using AVC (High@L4)(CABC / 4 Ref Frames)

I can show other details (from MediaInfo) if that would be helpful.