SFTP performance on iOS/tvOS

A 50GB movie at 90 min works out to about 75Mbps so you would to make sure your connection speed is faster than that. Probably at least 100 to have a solid playback.

@munpip214 It is not a question of whether or not our connection speed is fast enough (over 75Mbits with regard to your example). The question is why the SFTP transfer speeds in Infuse are inadequate (see title of this thread), around 14Mbits. We do not have any influence on Infuseā€™s performance, especially when changing the protocol to another one is not possible for some servers that we connect to over the Internet.

I know what Iā€™m doing. I work in network related field.
The fact that streaming the same 50GB 90mins movie by plex share of infuse is 300Mb while smb&sftp is only 50Mb, is enough to say that there are issue in the infuse smb/sftp stack.

Okay then what speeds do you expect? WiFi sucks and plex is designed for streaming. :man_shrugging:t3:

I mean, I stream (NOT download) the same 50GB movie in FE file explorer by sftp, and itā€™s 200Mb no buffer, while in infuse sftp itā€™s 50Mb with buffer.
So I can only draw the conclusion that there are issue in infuse sftp/smb stack.

1 Like

So FE File Explorer has a speed test for playback? Are the speeds you are reporting the average/min/ or max speeds?

Of course FE doesnā€™t have speed test.
I check the real time streaming speed of the 1st min of same 50GB movie in my unifi router dashboard, as Iā€™ve said above.
I stated the range (min & max) above as well.
In case anyone miss, hereā€™s the range(iPhone XS): infuse sftp: 50-60Mb, constant buffer.
FE file explorer sftp: 160-260Mb, no buffer.

As a network engineer:

Many persons pointed out that there is an issue with SFTP/SMB stack in Infuse, for multiple versions during the streaming. Your product has a limitation.

How did I measure the limitation? Simple, by monitoring the traffic on a server side. Infuse client was not able to pull more than 7 Mbit/s.

Btw, soon I am going to open a new thread about http/webdav support, where instead of streaming the file Infuse downloads the whole file at once.

@james Would you mind giving us an update on this issue? Thank you.

Itā€™s wiered that WebDAV gives me 120Mbps max and 100Mbps average throughput but due to limitation on add to favourites only applicable to folders and not files it inconvenient to use webDav as SFTP is very slow not sure why

Connection speeds can vary quite a bit depending on the network connection type, and the type of device you are connecting to.

Does your device support any other options besides WebDAV and SFTP? Many people use SMB or NFS, and those generally work quite well.

i believe SMB is for local and i am trying to add a remote server instead of downloading i feel convinient to stream rather downoading and having it plex indexing unless necessary. Also i prefer the secure way of accessing hence sftp rather ftp. I have no issue with webDav Https with that i can even stream 70 gig with no issues at its peak 140Mbps and avg 115Mbps on a 200 Mbps line with almost nill stuttering.

On the other hand webDav has a tendancy to buffer the entire file which is fine but the problem is it downloads/bufffers the entire file and when the apple tv 4k goes on screen saver in stipulated time and when i try to resume it restart the buffering from the begining. it waste of bandwidth either the buffered content should stay as long the app is open and not closed or the buffer should not fully download till certail portion of the file is streamed as like youtube hardly stream full content and only download as we seeks it closer.

Have you tried changing the streaming cache setting in Infuse? That may help.

I believe it set to auto . Would be in sec or any other formats

Iā€™d at least try setting it to Legacy just to see if that made a difference.

Yes switching to legacy helped now i donā€™t see white bar progressing faster

Itā€™s now blank and only seeking and not buffering as well for a gig file

The buffering behavior will actually be the same for SFTP and WebDAV, though if SFTP is working slower with your setup Infuse wonā€™t be able to buffer quite as fast.

the sftp connection to a remote server is fast when using sftp with FileZilla (180mbit) but slow when using Infuse on either atv, ipad or mac (18mbit).

when using onedrive-cloud for comparison the download speed is also fast (180mbit)

is this a known issue?

More or less yes, only webdav shows reliable speeds. There are also no buffering or streaming, it just copies the file locally.

SMB works only for a local network, if your SMB server is used remotely you are going to have a really bad experience.

It is a nice player, but networking stack is just garbage.

facing slow speed on FTP from the remote server only on apple tv while on my iPhone infuse app there is no slow speed via FTP it stream pretty decent and fast on iPhone app so there is an update and problem with current version 7.4.1 ?