Setting up external drive?

hi guys,

may i start by saying sorry if posted before but i cant seem to find the answer (maybe looking for wrong keyword :( )

i used to stream from my pc to my ps3 but this was poor, so I have just bought apple tv and the plan was/is:

to connect an external 1tb drive to it and run all my movies off of it. (bought and setup as external drive)

I want all my music stored on apple tv NOT my pc (but i would also like to stream to itunes?)

i do not want to turn my pc on to watch movies or listen to music, but would like to connect either my iphone or ipad to the library to listen to muic (in the house/ on the road would be good too!)

i also want all my movies that i have converted to avi (doh!) to be on the same drive (connected to my atv).

my problem is:

i have set drive up as external but to transfer 600gig via my wireless (ftp) is not practical i have macdrive 8 on my pc but when i connect the drive to the pc i cant find where to put my music or movies.

any ideas as syncying by usb will be much easier for me?

sorry for loads of questions, im just not sure howm much is possible.

cheers

Haldarulon.

p.s.

happy new year :)

Unfortunately due to the nature of iTunes syncing, any iTunes media you wish to sync to the AppleTV will also need to be stored on your PC. If you remove the media from your PC, it will also be removed from the AppleTV during the next sync.

One way to get faster syncing times would be to connect the AppleTV via a wired ethernet connection (at least for the initial sync). Future syncs can be done fairly quickly via wifi.

danielh.1178,
Let me see if I can address the items max may have missed:

1) I want all my music stored on apple tv NOT my pc (but i would also like to stream to itunes?) YOU WILLL NEED ITUNES IN EFFORT TO UPLOAD MUSIC YOUR LOOKING TO LISTEN TO ON APPLE TV EXTURNAL HARD DRIVE. THE ONLY WAY I CAN SEE YOU WORKING AROUND THIS ISSUE (I have not personal tried this), IS TO UNCHECK THE OPTION "Prevent Apple TVs from syncing automatically". THEN YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DUMP THE MUSIC FROM YOUR COMPUTER. THE ONLY ISSUE THEN, IS WHEN YOU DECIDE TO UPDATE OR ADD NEW MUSIC.

2) i do not want to turn my pc on to watch movies or listen to music, but would like to connect either my iphone or ipad to the library to listen to muic (in the house/ on the road would be good too!) ONCE YOU ADD THE MUSIC AND MOVIES TO YOUR EXTURNAL HARD DRIVE WHICH IS CONNECTED TO YOUR APPLE TV, YOU CAN ACCESS ALL OF YOUR MOVIES AND MUSIC USING THE "REMOTE" APP FROM APPLE ON YOUR IPAD OR IPOD TOUCH WITHOUT HAVING YOUR COMPUTER TURNED ON.

3) i have macdrive 8 on my pc but when i connect the drive to the pc i cant find where to put my music or movies. I HAVE THE SAME SETUP AND HOPEFULLY YOUR ABLE TO ACCESS THE DRIVE AND IT CONTENTS WITHOUT ANY ISSUE. LOOK FOR THE FOLDER CALLED "External Media". THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN CREATED WHEN USING THE PROGRAM CALLED "Spaphire". I CREATE A FOLDER FOR EACH MOVIE I ADD AND NAME IT THE SAME WAY THEY DO ON imdb.com. WHEN I ADD A NEW MOVIE, I DISCONNECT THE EXTURNAL HARD DRIVE FROM APPLE TV AND CONNECT IT TO MY COMPUTER FOR A FASTER TRANSFER RATE.

Hopefully I covered the issue you wanted answers to.

Happy New year

Ok, so just to check. Can I use the external connected via USB for my music ? How do I play the music( what app) can I use the iTunes section of the apple tv? ( how, other computer has to be synced to apple tv and will it see external drive?

Cheers!
Oh and I love what firecore has done. Keep it up!