Set preferred source ranking for identical media object

I have both Plex and Jellyfin set up pointing to my media library, and Infuse set up as a client for each of them, as I’m using Jellyfin as a backup for Plex. However, this also means I have two entries for each show and each movie in Infuse, because it pulls one from each source. If I added a direct NFS or SMB connection to my NAS into the mix, it’d be three entries each.

It would be nice if I could set a global ranking of sources to try in order (so, if I had another source configured, it could go from first to second to third, adding a fourth would add a fourth tier, and so on) to play a given movie or episode of a show.

So you would rather have it be based on source rather than quality? Or if you have two of the same quality, then pick your favorite source?

I hadn’t considered the quality aspect since I have both Plex and Jellyfin pointed at the same locations on my NAS and indexing the same files, but I guess using it as a tiebreaker for identical quality could make sense.

I think user is saying they are using two different external media managers (and is considering adding vanilla Infuse as a third) to point to the same media files, and the files are being virtually duplicated because they are indexed two (or three) times over by each different media manager accessible to Infuse.

I frankly don’t understand why anyone would want to do this … but it seems distinct from the usual complaint of Infuse not automatically collapsing and selecting between uniquely different copies of media files that are all different versions of the same media title.

The goal is fewer potential points of failure. If there’s an issue like with Plex’s authentication issues last month, I’d like to be able to seamlessly fall back to Jellyfin until they’re back, or if there’s a hardware issue with my Plex server, still be able to watch my media on my Jellyfin server until I can get the Plex host back up and running. Things like that.

It doesn’t change the fact that I still only have one copy of my media on my NAS that Plex and Jellyfin connect to over my network, but that’s another problem for another day.