Same file: Plex plays DV, Infuse doesn't

Hello,

same file (HEVC profile Main 10 @ L5.0), Apple TV 4K Plex plays correctly Dolby Vision; Infuse plays plain HDR10. How come?

Can you provide a full media info for the file?

Plex will trigger Dolby Vision for any and every file that shows up as Dolby Vision even if it’s a profile that the device doesn’t support. It’s called “Fake DV” but isn’t Dolby Vision at all. Infuse doesn’t do such bullshit.

All that said I do recall seeing some issues mentioned with DV profile 5 and Infuse recently.
But the fact that it’s falling back to play as HDR suggests it’s not profile 5 (although I believe there are tools that will achieve this recently)

To see if that’s the case a full media info would help.
If you’re not familiar with mediainfo you can download it here MediaInfo

1 Like

Here it is

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2 h 10 min
Bit rate : 24.4 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 024 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.897
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.131
Stream size : 22.2 GiB (95%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 897 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 497 cd/m2

Well that’s really interesting.
As far as I was aware profile 8 is purely a native DV type for stuff shot on Apple devices but perhaps things have changed.

As a general rule anything with a HDR fallback layer is unsupported on Apple device and most commonly that’s profile 7 (stuff ripped from Blu-ray)

I’m gonna PM you if that’s ok?

See this list of supported formats:

2 Likes

Sorry I’m not an expert but, according to what you’ve just quoted, Profile 8 DV should be supported, but in fact this doesn’t happen in my case.

The key part is profile7 or 8 with HDR fallback will not play as Dolby Vision as it’s not supported.

Plex simply forces the Apple TV into Dolby Vision mode despite it not being supported.
Infuse is playing that file correctly…Plex isn’t.

2 Likes

In a nutshell, in order to get DV I have to find a way to convert Profile 8 to Profile 5 (if this can be done)

Or look for profile 5 in the first place.
But the downside of that is they will not play nicely on non DV capable TV’s as Profile 5 usually don’t have HDR fallback.
I also have a Samsung personally so pretty much gave up caring about DV. It just became too much hassle.

@munpip214 is correct. The Apple TV has limited support for DoVi Profile 8, and most of these are going to play in HDR. In essence, Profile 8 support is limited to videos shot on iPhone.

Other apps may force the Apple TV into DoVi mode, but you aren’t really getting the benefit of DoVi here since the video is just playing in HDR.

As long as you are playing them on an Apple TV 4K with Infuse, the TV won’t really matter. The output can be either HDR or SDR. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Apple TV has limited support for DoVi Profile 8, and most of these are going to play in HDR. In essence, Profile 8 support is limited to videos shot on iPhone.

Are there any plans to better support this profile?

It’s a limitation of Apple devices, and unfortunately they have not announced any changes in this area that I have seen.

I’m aware it’s somewhat a hardware limitation, but the player can also be tricked to play DV “layer”. It’s kind of a bummer that Infuse can’t do that, especially because most of the time DV is better than HDR10

If you want this effect in Infuse, you can simply enable the Apple TV to output Dolby Vision and disable the Match Dynamic Range option in Settings.

Just to clarify this. If you think that’s what Plex is doing it definitely isnt. Plex is playing HDR and meanwhile forcing the Apple TV into Dolby Vision mode in the way that James describes above.

2 Likes

Oh thanks, I didn’t get it. My bad.

2 Likes

Oh wow. So Infuse can tonemap Dolby Vision?
(If tonemapping is the correct terminology)
I had no idea.
Only decision now is ordering another Apple TV 4K or holding out til I upgrade my existing one for the alledged planned newer model.

Considering all of the recent sales that points to a newer version, but if they don’t announce something at their October event it probably won’t be anything until next spring or next fall :pensive:

1 Like

Yeah I have been monitoring your thread on the sales.
Sadly apart from one particular sale they seem to not be hitting us here in the UK.

Yes, but of course this is limited to Profile 5 since that is all Apple supports.

Other profiles would play in HDR (or tonemap the fallback HDR layer to SDR, if needed).

1 Like