Ripping DVDs

Was glad to see beta 6 out!  I updated the media player (i think) and was wondering if I could get some basic help setting things up.

I just got my aTV last week, so forgive me if these are pretty dumb questions.

I am interested in ripping our DVDs to the network and watching them through the media tab in aTV Flash (black).  Like I mentioned, I have updated to beta 6.  How do I lay out the directory structure so i get the “Movies” option under Media, like in your screenshots of the new beta?  I connected to my share, and I have Files on the main menu under media, but no Movies option.  Do I need to lay the files out in a certain structure?

I was just going to use DVD Decryptor to rip them to VIDEO_TS folders, but I see a lot of people talking about mkv files.  What are they?  Should I be using those?

Really, I just want mine to look like the one in the screenshot, with the list of them, the cover art, etc… but I am not sure where to start.  I put a .AVI in the share, and was able to play it, so I know I’ve connected properly.

Before I go ripping 500 DVDs, I wanted to make sure I was going to do it the right way, and not spend all that time on the wrong path.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I searched the knowledge base and FAQs and didnt find any instructions for laying this out correctly.

If you hold down the OK button on the remote while positioned on a folder, then you will be given an option of making that into a favourites with whatever name you want. Favorites are listed first in the Media Payer menu. That will allow you to add a MOVIES favourites pointing to where you hold our movies.

If you want full DVD functionality, then simply rip all files on the DVD, putting each DVD into its own folder. That will give you an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS sub-folder for each DVD with all the important files in the VIDEO_TS folder. Media Player will hide this complexity just showing you the folder for each film, and selecting that folder will start the film just as if it was the real DVD.

Mkv files are a HD format (I think of them as a HD version of Avila files). Probably for most people associated with TV shows. However you could transcode other material into mkv format. Do not worry about them except for knowing that if you have some then the Media player can now handle them (at least up to 720p resolution) without problems.

Thanks a ton!  I never would have figured out the favorites thing (apologies if i missed that somewhere in the docs).

Not sure that there are any docs yet as this is still beta :slight_smile:

You may be right about that, but I just now noticed it at the bottom of the screen while you are browsing media.  :)  

Thanks for the advice, Ive got it working brilliantly now.

You might want to check out the program RipIt.  It creates a single file that is the size of the DVD which is easy to move around.

Silly question, but how would one go about doing that same procedure with the iOS remote App?