Removing HD and running off USB

Hey All,

I recently bought a new TV for my bedroom and decided to bring my silver AppleTV out of retirement. The thing is, as many of you have experienced, the HD runs constantly, even when the device is in “standby” mode, causing it to be extremely hot and increase my electric bill. What I would like to do is remove the internal HD (which I upgraded to a 640 GB SATA a while ago and installed ATVFlash on) and have it run more like my black ATV. I’ve been looking up tutorials on how to remove the HD and get it to boot and run off of an external drive, but almost all of them are centered around installing and running the full version of OSX. That’s not what I’m looking for. All I would like to do is to find a way to transfer the operating system (ATVFlash included) from an internal drive to an external drive (preferably a USB stick) and have it run that way. Is this possible? If so, can someone please share step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!
JBX

Hello, I’m surprised nobody has answered your question. I’ve done this to mine and it works great. However, it took a bit of time to get it running. I have a bookmark on my other computer where I learned how to do this. If there is an interest, then I’ll post it. One thing to concider is how many rights the flash drive may have. Turn off cache plugin with xbmc will help. I run mine with a NAS and am trying to run the cache over the network and place it on the NAS for longer lasting USB flash drive.