Remote Desktop access in aTV Flash 4.0

Just updated my AppleTV to the 4.0 software and noticed there is an option to enable remote desktop access. I went ahead and enabled it, and have been able to use the native OS X Screen Sharing directly from Finder to view the AppleTV’s screen just fine (not sure if this is because I configured AFP access). Unfortunately though, I can not control the menus with my keyboard and mouse. Is there a way to remotely control the AppleTV while viewing the screen?

This feature will allow you control applications that are launched through the nitoTV > Applications menu. However it will only allow a monitoring feature for other aspects of the AppleTV.

D’oh! Oh well, thanks for clearing that up for me guardianmax. :slight_smile:

hi guys,

Have Vine installed and active. I use Chicken of the VNC and can connect - but get a single screen shot - then nothing updates.

After that, when i connect, it immediately closes the app [fails]

Any ideas?

The idea of using VNC to remote config the aTV is very appealing - with a keyboard…

thx.

Mjr

VNC can be used to control applications that are launched through the nitoTV --> Applications menu. Unfortunately controlling the AppleTV menus is not currently supported.

I am using this with NitoTV - i can connect ok, get the first screen but, and consider i am using the AppleTV remote, the screen display on VNC never updates from the first loaded screen.

I will try from Windows via VMware/ VNC and see if it is a Chicken of the VNC / SN issue.

Thanks as always for your assistance.

Mjr

VNC can be used to control applications that are launched through the nitoTV --> Applications menu. Unfortunately controlling the AppleTV menus is not currently supported.[/quote]
Hi Max, I’m trying to clarify this 100% before purchasing aTV Flash. I use my aTV as a wireless music server with no display (I use the Remote app on an iPod Touch to select and play music). Like mjr I want to use VNC to assist in remote config of the aTV (in particular to view software update dialogs when they arise and to put the machine into “Standby” before power off). However, unlike mjr I don’t need to use a keyboard via VNC - instead I can simply use the IR remote control to navigate the menus and plan to use a VNC viewer on my iPod Touch to view the menus.

So my question is not whether VNC and the Vine Server bundled with aTV Flash can control the aTV menus, but simply can it display all the menus in realtime as I navigate them using the standard IR remote control?

Unfortunately the current version will only provide a still shot of the current menu state, however…a number of vnc improvements are scheduled for an upcoming version that will greatly enhance the usability of vnc on the AppleTV.

Hi Max, no pressure, but any update on availability of the new version or further detail regarding the vnc improvements?

Well 4.1.3 includes Remote HD which provides full VNC control (menus, video playback etc) when using an iPhone/iPad.
http://www.atvflash.com/remotehd

Not sure on the timeline for getting these features supported via standard VNC.

Just came here with the same query… would love to control/monitor my AppleTV (running Firecore’s ATVFlash) from my laptop.  

Any clues on how to get Chicken of the VNC connected now?