Recover data from hard drive of dead Apple TV

Last week my AppleTV suffered from a catastrophic failure! The hard drive is still good and can be viewed when connected via a USB/IDE adapter. The media folder shows the scrambled folders/files that you would expect. With the exception of music, all of the movies on the drive was loaded via Cyberduck.

Is there a way to extract the data of the drive?

Does the iTunes method work for data that wasn’t synced from iTunes?

Yes, media transferred via FTP will be visible on the drive in the OSBoot/Users/frontrow folder.

Thanks…but…how do I get the OSBoot partition to mount? When I connect the drive only the Media partition mounts as a drive.

Is there a setting in Disk Utility I can use to change the partition settings to allow it to mount?

If you physically connect the drive to a Mac both the OSBoot and Media partitions should come up. If not, take a look in Disk Utility to see if you can mount it manually.

Thanks…I’ll give it a shot and report back.

So I tried this and got an interesting result. The OSBoot partition doesn’t mount immediately. Through Disk Utility I tried to mount the ‘drive’ but it said that it couldn’t mount and needed to be repaired. The subsequent repair failed.

Is it possible that I don’t have a dead unit but a corrupted OSBoot partition?

Here is a copy of the details from the repair:

Verifiy and Repair volume “OSBoot”
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size.
The volume could not be verified completely.
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk…disk, and restore your backed up files.

I had a problem where I lost all my photos from my pc and had to get them off my apple tv. Just took apart atv hooked hard drive up to a mac and get all the files off of it that way. Quite simple really. Obviously not sure if that will work for you but give it a try

Verifiy and Repair volume “OSBoot”
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size.
The volume could not be verified completely.
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

DiskWarrior is usually good at fixing this sort of issue. Saved me when I pulled a firewire drive without unmounting it.

Colin

I’ll try Disk Warrior.

As for a corrupted OSBoot being my problem…I think I’m still toast after doing my research. I think a piece of hardware failed somewhere on the unit as I couldn’t get it into the Restore mode via the menu & - remote command.