re-jailbreak 5.3 - now says activation failed in general help please?

Hi all,

re-jailbroke my appletv was 5.3 still went to 5.3, now under general it says activation failed… can anyone help with this please, are apple still signing, because I no longer have internet access.

please reply chaps as i really do need some help please…

sadsack

Replying to my own posts… lol

A quick help for any one else with a similar problem, I have two p.c’s and one laptop (for the tethering)… I think this maybe where I went wrong, I used seasonpass on the laptop with the lan connected. seasonpass did not download any firmware and went straight into unpacking a firmware which it did not download, the process was very quick, and I ended up with an Atv with “Activation failed” under general / About.

So I went back to my dog eared old athlon running XP p.c. and ran seasonpass on that, this time I was asked if i would like to save (sorry forgot the words, but i’m assuming blobs possibly) I said yes but it failed finding any.

I then chose to jailbreak without searching for blobs, and the process started.  Also did all this with the power supply connected and powered up, (I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the USB leads, cos I’ve got half a dozen here and they all do the same, what I do think is that the USB port does not supply enough juice, thats more likely). well it took a bit of time, it’s only an Athlon after all, but eventually it finished after about 20 plus minutes.

I had the tick come up, I unplugged the power and usb, and went over to the tv where the win7 laptop is sitting, I ran seasonpass without the lan connected this time and did the tethered JB, plugged in the hdmi lead, selected English, and this time i put in my wifi details, (I did not do this before)… I had the spinning wheel and it said activating, or activation, chose not to send any info to apple, changed my location, no automatic update of time, I was then greeted with would I like to update to the latest firmware, … obvious answer to that one.

then went into general about and now there is nothing about activation failed only a set of letters and numbers with full wifi.

I then selected my wifi and deleted it, and reconnected my lan lead, went into trailers, working fine, went into youtube and thats working fine.

so alls well that ends well.

One thing I wanted to do was to re-arange the icons so I moved the selector to sky news and held down middle select button for a few seconds until the icon starts to wobble you can then move them about, only problem is every time you turn off xbmc and the Atv resets so do your icons… what a waste.

at one point I thought it might have been my hosts file but this is it here…

Host Database

localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.

127.0.0.1    localhost
255.255.255.255    broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0    localhost

and from what I understand the block is done by backing up this hosts file and replacing it with one that has this:

echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com” >> /etc/hosts
echo “127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com” >> /etc/hosts
echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net” >> /etc/hosts

(I’m not to sure if this is what updatebegone does, as I couldn’t find it within NitoTV.

I don’t suppose anyone knows how to change the icon images on the “Front Row” (or where the icon images are held), I’m desperate to backup the FC logo.

and now the AppleTV is clean I’m wondering how i could do a backup of it, that I could re-install if required so I dont have to go through this again, (Oh wait… if apple stop signing there wouldn’t be any point would there, as I wouldn’t be able to re-jailbreak would I?