Problems with Network Streaming and EyeTV files

Hello.

I’ve just purchased ATV Flash and installed it for the first time. I have to say I’m quite impressed with how smoothly everything worked, and with the level of detailed support available.

However, (there’s always one:-)), I have run into a problem with the Network Streaming. I have set up Sharing on two of my Macs - a Mac Pro and a 20" iMac - and both appear under ‘Network’ in NitoTV with ‘afpovertcp’ listed on each one. But when I click on either my Mac Pro or iMac I get the error message ‘Network Mount Failed! AFP is not enabled properly or is missing essential components. Smart Installer with a 1.0 recovery dmg in ~/Documents will fix this issue’.

I’ve no idea what this means and I’m surprised to see any issue with AFP since I followed the wiki ‘Streaming’ advice and made sure that ‘SMB’ was selected for the Mac’s Sharing. AFP was also selected in each case.

The only thing I did that was slightly different from the ATV Flash Install manual PDF was to run the ‘Smart Installer’ from within NitoTV (I was following the Screencasts Online podcast about ATV Flash) rather than from the Maintenance/Settings tab. However under Maintenance/Settings the nito Smart Installer is shown as having been run today, so I’m guessing that it’s the same process as within nitoTV.

Interestingly XBMC (not the beta version) is able to access my iMac and play some files. Unfortunately it can’t play my EyeTV archive files - it shows the .mpg file part but locks up my ATV when I press Play. Maybe that’s my mistake, since I haven’t really read anything yet about using XBMC. My ‘Mac Pro’ does not show up at all under Video on the XBMC.

I have the latest Oses on my Macs and my Apple TV. I also have a second Apple TV that I hope to set up ATV Flash on when I iron on the wrinkles on my first installation. Are there any issues I should be aware of in using two separate ATVs running ATV Flash?

Any suggestions on how I can solve these network and EyeTV files problems?

Thanks,

To partially answer my own question, I’ve managed to access my video files using SMB across my local network, but had to set up a manual share point first. Details of how to do it can be found here:

http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Network_Streaming

However I’m still trying to find a way to play my .eyetv files from a network drive. I’ve installed Perian and Mplayer codecs and tried playing from NitoTV and XBMC. XBMC crashed out, NitoTV stuttered unusably in ‘mplayer’ mode and failed in ‘mixed’ mode.

Does anyone know if it’s possible?

Thanks.