Plex vs. SMB

Hi, Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantage of SMB connections vs. Plex? If both are available, is there a reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks.

Streaming from Plex is available in Infuse as a secondary option, as in some cases the set up is easier (no passwords). Other than that, there’s really no reason to use Plex over SMB/NFS, and in many cases streaming directly will allow for faster browsing/scanning.

That’s exactly what I wanted to know. It makes sense that file system access is more efficient. The only plus I see for Plex vs. file system access in this situation is the ability to browse by first letter, year, rating and so on.

1 Like

With the addition of plex integration to infuse today w/ 5.7, does this change anything? I know I now have the ability to remote stream and I have plex playcount, metadata, etc. However, is there a speed difference with SMB vs plex when on the same network at home?

1 Like

I too would like to know this. I’m having buffering issues (started a thread on this) and wondering if Plex could be slowing things down.

UPDATE: I’ve changed my SMB setting from AUTO to LEGACY and that seemed to do the trick! I used the info found here to change the SMB: Streaming From a Mac, PC, or NAS – Firecore

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.