Plex instead of shares

Hey All

I am considering adding my Plex server instead of direct shares to the NAS because of the control over Metadata this would give me.

I was wondering though:

Does using plex though infuse have any kind of disadvantages compared to direct smb shares from a NAS? Is the sound and picture quality the same on the same network?

I hope someone can answer my questions :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

It’s the same. In some cases plex might be faster than SMB/NFS depending on your setup. I believe the only thing that doesn’t work is ISO however if you only get a few of these you can always create a folder specifically for ISOs and share that out via SMB.

Thank you so much for your answer! I do have a LOT of iso (had 400+) but im making it my projekt to get them into mkv anyway :slight_smile:

Why not try it and see if it fits your needs? You’re the only one that has an opinion that matters on if it works right for you so give it a shot! :slight_smile:

All you have invested is time. You can always go the other direction if you aren’t happy. :wink:

That is exactly my plan now after info from
This thread ?

I just need a “real” server first. Been playing around with Plex on my pc but plan on Plex nas so I don’t have to have my pc on all the time

Another question about infuse and Plex.

It does not support multi part movies does it? It shows the full lenght of the movie/show but i cant figure out how to play more then the first part :slight_smile:

I think that’s a Plex limitation. I ended up joining all my movies together.