Plex & Dolby Atmos audio labels

99JQ4

Im not sure either of these are problem issues, but…

The movie is tagged as Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 but my AVR displays Dolby Atmos PCM (nice surprise though). Down at the bottom of the detail screen is see HEVC Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 . I guess that’s the “Moved Movie Details…” but will some details be at the top of the screen and some at the bottom? Seems odd.

Edit: Plex’s label is 5.1 EAC3 for the same file. I do understand that label is always a crapshoot for actual Atmos.

This is fine. Plex doesn’t label Atmos content.

I understand that it can’t reliably label audio as being Atmos, but itd be less confusing, especially with us Plex users, if it labelled at 5.1 EAC3. When i see that I know that there’s a chance it could be Atmos. I would expect anything labelled with 5.1 thats its actually Dolby Atmos.

Got it. Feature request then.

There are some misconceptions here I’d like to address however, EAC-3 however is commercially DD+, so Infuse is labelling the media accurately, in addition, most EAC-3 media is actually not Atmos.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. This is confusing. I ( apparently wrongly) thought AC3 was Atmos because sometimes the AC3 label yields Atmos in Infuse (i thought), MrMc and I think at one time, Plex. I thought DD+ was a myriad of codecs like my Fire Stick offered years ago.

Ac3 is Dolby digital/Dolby digital plus. It’s the catch all for any lossy Dolby digital. Dolby digital can also have atmos added to it (eac3 with joint object coding).

TrueHD is the lossless version. It can also have atmos added to it as well.

Plex only will distinguish between the two core audio formats… either AC3 or TrueHD. It will not determine if the core audio format also has Dolby atmos. AFAIK no player will pick this up.

1 Like