Playback issues on ATV4K since latest update

Hi All

I’m wondering if anyone else is having any playback issues since the latest 5.8 update…

I’m getting an intermittent stuttering picture. Not buffering, but more like skipping from frame to frame in a jerky way. It’s not consistent - it comes and goes. Audio is fine. I’ve watched all these files before with no issue so it’s definitely a new thing.

The only thing that’s changed is the Infuse update. My set up is exactly the same - I’m playing from a Synology D918+ NAS and have a Netgear Nighthawk D7800 modem/router connected directly via ethernet to an ATV4K. I’ve tried rebooting everything but no luck, and I’ve checked that the NAS, modem and ATV4K are up to date.

Anyone else having these issues or just me?

Welcome to the forum!

We haven’t received any other similar reports, but can you double-check to see if you have Match Content options enabled on your Apple TV?

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I have Match Content (range & frame rate) selected. It’s been working fine for months - this is something new. It’s intermittent, which is very odd. If no one else is experiencing these issues, I’ll make further investigations at my end (reset everything, etc.).

Appreciate your response - it’s really helpful to know.

In this case, it may be best to submit a report from your Apple TV and open a support ticket.

If you’re seeing this with one particular file, and not others, uploading a sample (as described in the link above) could also be helpful.

Great, thanks James. I’ll rule out any possible causes at my end (router, etc.) and, if it continues, I’ll follow those instructions. Appreciate your help :slight_smile:

Hi Kish, I have a similar effect, if it is the same. It happens, when there are many more other apps left open. If you close them all, the effect goes away. This has been before the last update already. Maybe it helps. Many greets.

1 Like

Ha! I think that’s fixed it!

I’ve recently been switching between 4 other apps and have just been leaving them open for convenience…usually I don’t do that. I closed them all and now it seems to be working fine.

I can’t believe I didn’t realise this before! Oops! Sorry to blame the update - I think it was just coincidental timing.


I’ve actually narrowed it down further. It’s one particular app that’s causing it when it’s running in the background. Thanks everyone for your help - very much appreciated.


Can I ask which app was causing the issue?

It’s the TenPlay app. It’s an Australian commercial television network app. If it’s running in the background, it creates the issue. As long as I close it fully, it seems to be all good. Very strange. I’ll keep an eye on it - but that seems to be it.

Hmm, but I don’t have this app on my atv. Maybe there are several ones, that might cause the problems.

Bizarre isn’t it… I’ve tested it now a few times and it seems to be that app. Odd…but at least I know now!

Should be easy to narrow down. Quit all apps except Infuse then try starting one at a time and testing infuse after each new app is started. Or, you could force quit one at a time when Infuse is affected and check after each app is forced quit and see if it fixes the issue.

Yep, that’s how I did it. The only niggly part is that, at least for me, it was intermittent so I had to watch for 30 minutes straight for each app to be sure. Still, that was easy enough. I never noticed it before but I can replicate the issue easily enough now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.