Playback issues in 7.3

@james the problem is real bro

Additional remark : 4K DV files are working fine.
From my side it’s very likely that it’s related to HDR files

The upcoming 7.3.4 release has a number of playback related improvements, and if anyone would like to try the latest beta please drop me a note and I can add you to TestFlight.

1 Like

Agreed with this. Seems at least on my end to be 264 1080p (and lower res) SDR files. Nothing in 4K, HDR, DV, or .265 encoding has posed a playback issue for me so far.

Today’s 7.3.4 update has a number of playback related improvements which may help with some cases.

Please try updating and let us know if you see any changes.

Updated to 7.3.4

Seeing much more stuttering on 2160p hdr content.

I think this version has a regression.

I have tried very quickly and it seems to be much better :slightly_smiling_face:

I will check again the next days and confirm it asap

Thanks for the work !

1 Like

Match rate and range on.

It was an hdr hevc video

Random freezes and stutters (some multiple frames, some very quick) it was severe and random. I use legacy streaming.

Network is super fast. I typically get 200Mbps and higher as minimum. Didn’t have this issue for a few versions back.

Legacy on the SMB setting or the cache? Auto on the cache may help.

I don’t follow. Legacy on streaming. Can turn if off

In the Settings, under “Playback” there is an option for Streaming Cache that can either be “Auto” or “Legacy” have you tried changing this one?

Tell me which model is Apple TV ? What is the tvOS version ? What kind of file do you play and see problems? Where can I get this file to check on my Apple TV?

Playback has been buttery smooth for me so far. The update even fixed the stutter after skipping chapters, so I definitively see improvements.

1 Like

Few corrections. I tested immediately after updating. Will try again after reboot.

Legacy - I was on auto for smb (was not aware of that option) and auto on streaming.

I moved now to smb3 and legacy streaming (bad name, a better one would me memory only or “disk less”)

I have forced subs on.

Stuttering was severe and frequent. After all these changes I did not see it.

In the past most have found that either SMB 2 or Legacy for the SMB protocol gives the best results. SMB 3 may introduce an additional layer of handshaking that often slows things down.

Did you try the Legacy streaming cache setting? Maybe both on Legacy?

will switch to SMB2. No problem

After rebooting and switching streaming to legacy, I couldn’t see the issue.

Just to clarify, do you mean you no longer see the stuttering with the legacy setting on streaming and all is working correctly?

I did too many things at once. I can’t be sure what caused the issue to disappear.

On smb2 now and legacy streaming. Will comment if I see more issues.

2 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Playback issue with 1080p HDR files