Playback issue with 1080p HDR/DV files (1st gen ATV4K)

The 4K 2021 model plays all affected files perfectly for me. I have not yet tested the new 2022 model.

1 Like

Apple TV 4K 2021 does not have this bug.

1 Like

The “bug” is not in Apple TV 2017. The bug is in Infuse’s software as the problem only manifested after version 7.2 and higher.

the only way for me to not get laggy playback using H265 content (variying resolutions, though with HDR 10) through Infuse is by disabling subtitles.

This doesn’t fix the problem for me. Anyway, glad to hear it’s under investigation. I can provide files/feedback if needed.

I can also confirm that the Apple TV 4K (2022) doesn’t have this bug as well

7.2 included an updated version of the tvOS SDK (tvOS 15) which was required to enable features like spatial audio.

The issue could lie in the tvOS SDK or tvOS itself, but the effect is the same.

In any event, Apple starts requiring developers to use the new SDKs when submitting new app updates within a few months after they are released - so there isn’t a way to continue using an older SDK even if we wanted to.

There are a few options we’re looking into that may allow us to workaround this issue so it’s possible this could be improved in one of the upcoming releases.

1 Like

To save space, I’ve transcoded some 4K content to 1080p HEVC but kept the HDR or Dolby Vision information. On iOS devices, these files play without any issue in Infuse. On Apple TV, I receive a generic “an error has occurred” when attempting playback. I know these are non-standard files, but since they work on iOS, would it be possible for the Apple TV app to also support this? Thanks.

This sounds like a separate issue than the SDK issue. What Apple TV do you have?

Hello I’m new to the forum and fairly new to Infuse.

I recently switched to Infuse because MrMC team seems to hav abandoned that player.

Anyway I just noticed this problem and did some fiddling yesterday and this is what I’ve come up with.

I only have stuttering issues with 1080 HDR content and subtitles on. Turning off subs gives juat slight stutter for a few seconds at start of playback but then everything runs fine.

Setting cache to legacy reduces the stutter slightly but it’s still there.

I run with match refresh rate ande range

But there is a dirty ”fix” seems to work for me. In the Apple TV settings if I set the Apple TV to 1080p it all works properly. So it’s almost like something that is an issue with the ATVs upscaler.

The thing is as others have said that other apps like MrMC don’t seem to have this problem at all even when the ATV is set to 4K.

Now for me personally this isn’t a big issue since 4K is a waste anyway at my viewing distance.

Hope this helps to pin down the problem.

I get the stutter as well with subs but also on 4k HDR sources. I have my ATV set to Dolby Vision 4K with match dynamic range ON but match frame rate OFF. If I set the frame rate ON the audio is out of sync.

Jobs once said “it just works”. Well, no… it doesn’t. I have a new 65" Sony A80k and have tried various settings on both the Sony and ATV. The subtitle stutter is an added nuisance.

I have problems playing the following format without stuttering on an apple tv 4k (Model A1842 - tvOs 16.5):

Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : iso2 (isom/iso2/dash/iso6/piff/dby1)
File size                                : 705 MiB
Duration                                 : 59 min 34 s
Overall bit rate                         : 1 655 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2023-04-14 15:04:49
Tagged date                              : UTC 2023-04-14 15:04:49

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L4@Main
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.03, BL+RPU
Codec ID                                 : dvhe / dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Duration                                 : 59 min 34 s
Bit rate                                 : 1 652 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.033
Stream size                              : 704 MiB (100%)
Encoded date                             : UTC 2023-04-14 15:04:49
Tagged date                              : UTC 2023-04-14 15:04:49
Color range                              : Full
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC

i have tried also the original MP4 videostream, without muxed audio. To be shure, there is no error in muxxing. Same result.

Playback with Plex plays only audio with black screen and with Infuse stuttering on Apple TV.

On Ipad Pro 2017 works fine.
On fireTV works fine.
On LG Oled and Plex works fine.

Any Ideas ?

If you’ve recently installed a tvOS update, you may check to ensure the Match Content options are still enabled.

Hi James,
the Match Content options are still enable.
This stuttering is different than when the frame rate is wrong. The picture always stops for a moment. Can it be that the coding is done by the software and then the cpu performance is not enogh? The scroll down menus also react very sluggishly during playback.

Would you be able to send in a sample video you are seeing this with?

Files up to 50GB can be uploaded here.
https://upload.firecore.com

Note, if you have Match Content enabled it’s normal to see non-smooth animations for the pull down menu during playback. This is due to the Apple TV outputting 24Hz instead of the normal 60Hz.

Yes, I send you 90 seconds sample.

Are there any new infos or updates ?

I noticed something else: this is not a pure Dolby Vision problem. Even with HDR10 it stutters on this Apple TV generation.

Thanks for the sample!

This is related to a known issue with the 1st gen Apple TV 4K model, and i’ve moved your posts to the other existing thread.

This issue affects some 1080p HDR and DoVi material, as it seems this specific device struggles to upscale certain videos from 1080p to 4K. Playing these videos with 1080p output should work fine.

We have a few ideas we plan to experiment with to see if we can improve this, but for now you can follow this thread for updates.

2 Likes

As a temporary solution, you can disable upscaling for this type of files until the problem is resolved. So it will be possible to watch such files without stuttering.

Yes, this can be done by setting the Apple TV to output to 1080p instead of 4K.

1 Like