Philips Hue support

nice!

Fabulous! -upgrade-

What kind of implementation are we talking about? It would be a bummer if it’s only limited to lights on or off when playing a movie.

Hue sync like signify released (Mac and windows only at the moment) would be awesome.

+1 for Hue support. While sync would be awesome, I’d at least like for infuse to auto dim the lights to a pre-set movie level when I start a movie.

Any progress for this feature?

It’s in the queue.

1 Like

I know it’s planned but thought I would throw a quick +1 in for hue sync and homekit support :slight_smile:

So does anyone think that the upcoming Hue Sync Box will negate development in Infuse? Hope not since the Sync Box is rather $$$

Considering that it costs more than the Apple TV probably not.

Yep - that and Infuse can support Dolby Vision - if not HDR10+ at the moment (Apple TV 5 anyone?).

“HDR10+ and Dolby Vision images will still pass through the device in full quality to your TV, but the Hue Play box won’t be capable of analyzing them to produce light effects.”

Still great value in it. Although - as I’ve said before - if Apple could just support it natively it would work for youtube content, netflix / prime / etc. etc.

I assume apple wont ever do that though.

Yeah $229 is pretty pricey just to able change colors. I guess it does work on multiple devices that you plug in (I.E. your cable box, console, firetv etc…)
I wish apple would add a homekit api for whats showing on the screen but I’d doubt they would do this do to security concerns. I would like to see the Hue privacy policy. If the are processing the image of every connected device wouldn’t be hard imagining them being able to determine what you are watching, playing on your TV (Like shazma does for audio)

I preordered it last night

My first thought when I saw the price was no way… but changed my mind LOL

I figured:

1. The box would be able to add in Hue sync to more than just Infuse, namely Netflix and PS4
  2. The box will most likely do the job better (less lag, more customization) beings as it is hardware developed for this purpose and not just a software “plug-in”
  3. If the experience didn’t WOW me, I’d be capable of returning for a refund.

This is feature I’ve been wanting for a long time.
I have 2 play bars behind my OLED and having a hands off approach to this type of experience would be ideal.

Definitely going to have to be impressive to be worth keeping.

This feature is deader than a dead dingo’s donga now. I cant imagine that Philips would let any third party get this up and running on the Apple TV, not after that ludicrously expensive box was released. I mean Hue is expensive, all us owners of it are used to that, but this box is outrageously overpriced for what it actually does - provide a second rate Ambilight without support for Dolby Vision and HDR10+, the two major standards for 4K movies.

Honestly, I think that Hue box is almost dead on arrival. No support for DV content. Not to mention it’s another box to position between TVs, soundbars, media boxes and splitters/switchers. The last thing I need is even more latency. Nevermind that insane price! I’m sure there are a few people who are really keen and will fork out the cash but I don’t see the market being big.

Really looking forward to the feature in infuse!

Also just a note on philips trying to stop integration here, there is a hue API used by many third party applications so there is no reason to believe Philips will stop anyone from integrating.

I would guess that Philips will ensure that Apple does not allow this feature on the Apple TV. If there was no Philips box for sale, I would have still had hope for this, but not after that announcement.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I never underestimate the power of capitalism!

This feature is a value add to the hue ecosystem. It’s much more than a tv box.

It stimulates households to install Hue lights instead of osram or AN other cheaper WiFi light etc…

They won’t disable the hue sync API, it’s a major part of the hue ecosystem USP.

This box just makes it accessible now to those with the cash. Simple as that.

Oh, I know what this is all about, but regarding the topic of this thread, if Hue sync works natively on the Apple TV, how long is it until it works on every set top box out there? I’m sure Philips made a deliberate decision in making the Sync app only available to PC and MAC users, and coding it in Java. It’s notable that as far as I know, no third party has made an app that works with Hue Sync yet… I’m sure this is deliberate, and ensures it will not happen anytime soon.

I have read many of the press releases posted as “reviews”, and they are all ensuring to say that the box does not support Dolby Vision, or HDR10+. If the box was ever going to support these missing formats, then they would have been saying that support will be coming soon via firmware update. This leaves this new box in an odd position, as it will only support a small subset of HDR content, not good for a $220 investment.

Oh, and I’m sure Osram and the rest will release a similar box for use with their products, and for probably far less money than what Philips are asking. Philips is just first, but the fact that the box even exists in the first place is very telling, and puts a nail in the coffin of third party support coming to tvOS, Andriod TV etc.

Pretty sure that Plex has had an implementation of this for a while.

“its a nail in the coffin of third party support coming to tvOS, Andriod TV etc.”
You are 100% wrong. Hue has an API for a reason. There are 100’s off apps that use this API for changing the lights to music, different occasions, different remotes, automation etc. there are even apps that use the camera to look at the TV and change the colors to match. This is API is going no where. They want all these apps because its a reason to choose more expensive hue over the completion. Its in fact one of main the reasons I expanded from one bulb to 10.

1 Like

Erm…not true.

There are already IOS apps that work with hue sync voia the camera. Plex supports hue sync. kodi supports it. Even MrMC, the Apple TV port supports it.

There are an absolute ton of implementations on multiple platforms. We just want it to work with infuse.

I’m not sure that Osram can do it because I’m pretty sure Philips will have played the patent game very well. My dad had a couple of patents with Philips when he worked there - their legal team is well funded :wink: