Perceived abandonment for ATV1 development

Hi,

With no new updates since Nov 1, and the flurry of announcements about work on software for the ATV2, I can’t help but think you’ve abandoned work on continuing support for the ATV1. There are still numerous issues with that software, including DVDs not formatted properly when the ATV is set to 1080i, network streaming of media experiencing extrememly poor performance in NitoTV, especially if streaming ripped DVDs and anything over wireless, and numerous posts in the support forum dating back many months asking for bugs such as these to be fixed - and yet nothing has been done, no releases to address these issues, and no announcements of impending updates to address any of the issues.

What sort of support exactly are people paying for here? With your pricing structure geared towards number of years of updates, one would expect some sort of development to iron out reported bugs. Or do you simply package other people’s software without doing anything to address the issues that software has except to periodically update your maintenance menu to download updated releases? Are we just paying for support of a distribution and re-packaging service?

Whilst installation of extras via ATV Flash is certainly simpler than researching and doing it all yourself, everything contained in ATV Flash is freeware. I have no problem paying for a simplified installation method but to present the illusion that you support and develop the products ATV Flash contains is a little dishonest given that people buy your product under the assumption that you are working towards fixing reported bugs that aren’t part of the installation process. Products contained within the package appear to be getting updated more frequently than you publish updates for ATV Flash so are you still supporting the ATV1 or not?

I am not affiliated but:

1)  You are paying for the web site, and support of archives for access to discussions.  Mostly for persons who are new to the hobby.  Got to make a buck to pay for this all.  yes there are other sources, but they are just as difficult, if not more.  So call this site a NEWBEE paid site for Apple TV 1.  Not sure you can find mcuh information on the Apple TV 1 without many hours of searching.  My time is worth the faster admission and education here.

2)  All development seems to focus on Apple TV 2.  And creating a structured solution for that product. So not much support through the boards for other questions.  Everytime I emailed tech support here, with my license purchase date, they responded back with helpful suggestions.

3)  this is not apple or microsoft.  It looks like strong hobbyist support.  but thats it.

[quote="ktjensen"]

I am not affiliated but:

1)  You are paying for the web site, and support of archives for access to discussions.  Mostly for persons who are new to the hobby.  Got to make a buck to pay for this all.  yes there are other sources, but they are just as difficult, if not more.  So call this site a NEWBEE paid site for Apple TV 1.  Not sure you can find mcuh information on the Apple TV 1 without many hours of searching.  My time is worth the faster admission and education here.

2)  All development seems to focus on Apple TV 2.  And creating a structured solution for that product. So not much support through the boards for other questions.  Everytime I emailed tech support here, with my license purchase date, they responded back with helpful suggestions.

3)  this is not apple or microsoft.  It looks like strong hobbyist support.  but thats it.

[/quote]

Thanks but what a load of rubbish.

1. You are paying a for a support contract not access to a publicly accessible website and public user forum which is rarely frequented by Firecore staff. This support contract is supposed to include access to updated product for the life of the support contract. If you purchase ATV Flash for the ATV1 you are still presented with options of number of years of updates of the product and you are not presented with "We have abandoned further development on the ATV1 and there will be no further updates, but feel free to pay for as many years of non-existent product updates as you like". You are not paying for a "NEWBEE" site, please, you just appear foolish. A simple google will give you access to the free method of adding XBMC to the ATV1, without this "hours of searching" you indicate.

2. All focus on the ATV2 is the problem!! Do you not understand what the complaint is about? I don't want "helpful suggestions" emailed to me, I want the KNOWN BUGS that people have been complaining about on the forum for months/years before the ATV2 product was even released addressed!!

3. This is not Apple or Microsoft, no. I didn't pay for a new iPhone, Microsoft Office or a new Mac, I paid for a Firecore commercial software package, product updates and support for the same. This is a company selling a product, not a hobbyist support group. They should be delivering what they promise.

AGAIN I state - NO UPDATES in the last 5 months, numerous existing bugs not addressed dating back to 2009 or longer, no indication that anything is being done for the ATV1 any more and they are STILL selling the product for ATV1 on the promise of product updates. No reponse from Firecore to this thread either.

Not good enough.

We're sorry for the confusion.

Many of the features being developed for the new AppleTV are being done in a way so they can easily be ported back to the 1st gen AppleTV. While there is not an exact ETA for their availability, there will be quite a few updates for the 1st gen AppleTV within the coming months.

Thanks for your patience.

Within the coming months?  Seems to have  familiar ring to it.  Have I heard that line before?  Love the product but would really like to feel like my reupping for a lifetime and not really seeing much since then was worth the money.  You guys need to at least think like Vegas and throw in the odd bone so the dogs keep coming back.

Let me get behind the rest of the old timer w/ ATV v1

I liked FireCore so much, I opted for lifetime support.

Please don’t forget us guys!

As a customer of ATV Flash for Apple TV 1G I will appreciate some kind of roadmap from Firecore

Thanks

bump :slight_smile:

Waiste of money.  The flash didn’t work on my 1st gen and no support or refund. 

atvFlash works flawlessly on the ATV1 – what are you seeing or not seeing?

I get Saphire but the Maintenance menu just loops me back to the main menu.  I get no other installs except saphire which doesn’t work.

Lots of rebooting after flash is installed…then it craps out.

This is the version after a factory refresh of my 160G Apple TV.

I’m not sure what the “update software” will change. You may know.

Software version 1.1
Software build 342
OS build version 8N5239
Thanks,
EF I version 00DA.S04
IR Version 3.1.2
GF Version 3.1.0/2.9.50

So, how does it work now???

Hi James (or any other FC staff)

you are still out there?

any feedback regarding the update issue?

hope to get your feedback (but not really believing it)

cheers

S

Worked for me with ATV1 160G. I recommend the product.

Forget development they don’t even fix easily reporducable bugs in the code

I work in the software industry

How can you fix a support ticket without fixing the problem

A disgruntled atv1 user

As a new user I am a little less than satisfied too. I downloaded ATV Flash as it was billed as being the easiest upgrade to my ATV1 there was in existence.

Since then, nitoTV will not play VOB files without serious stuttering across wired ethernet, yet XBMC can, but not at the correct ratios despite setting them up carefully.

Its not a ready to go out of the box fix by any means, and the Hotspot thing that they continue to advertise has gone.

I’ve rebooted, reinstalled and reset more times than I care to mention and have become bored now. Its day 10, and I want my Apple TV back the way it was. I shall be asking for a refund. Its a pity, its advertised really well, its just a shame it doesn’t live up to the advertising.

This will be my last post here as I guess my access will be gone shortly so I wish you all the best of luck with this amateurish software, I think you will need it.

Did you try to play the VOB file locally (from the ATV1 drive)?

This way you can troubleshoot your ethernet connection.

XBMC doesn’t have aspect ratio issues if correctly configured (i.e. zooming options and/or removing black bars could affect the ratio).

Im very satisfied of atv flash and have been using it for years now, but remember that ATV1 hardware capability is very limited.

Yes, I tried running the VOB from an external USB drive (I couldn’t work out how to ftp (?) a file onto the internal drive, its beyond my abilities and does in fact go against the point of having a 7TB MediaSmart Server in which to hold all my movies on.

Running the VOB on an external drive showed the same problems, the first three quarters of an hour is fine, but then choppiness starts, getting worse as time progresses. A simple check by “rewinding” the movie proves its not an encoding error as its never the same choppiness in the same place twice. I can’t help but think the ATV is running out of steam.

As for XBMC ratios, I have tried changing everything to no success. NitoTV shows the correct aspect ratio but has choppy playback. XBMC has smooth playback but in the wrong aspect ratio. The ATV in XBMC is set to 1080 as is the output of the ATV in its own settings. I went through the setup adjustment on screen (making the box square etc), but still the aspect ratio is incorrect. I reinstalled everything when the picture got so bad it was showing the top third only with the lft, right and all of the bottom of the picture off the sides and bottom of the screen.

I have limited time and patience. I purchased ATV Flash because it was supposed to enhance the ATV for people who don’t have time to fuss or have limited knowledge. I am quite knowledgeable, but not to this degree and don;t have time to mess about with things like this, hence I’ve given up. The installation might be “one-click” but its the only thing that is. I should have read between the lines, but this is not my “thing” and am now enjoying my ATV again now its back to Apple’s stock software, I’m simply converting all my VOBs to mp4 and will play with getting iTunes running on my server instead, its got to be easier than all this.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve truly given up now and have requested my refund. That’s ten days of my life I will never get back :frowning: