Partitition problems

I have an Imac with both Vista and Mac OS. I am in the MAC OS and have downloaded the file, however when trying to run the program it asks the questions about where I wish to install. However then gives me an error about partitioning.

Can anyone help?

David Knight

I have run it on a 8GB, 4GB and now a 256MB drive. All with the same result.

The error report says Exc_BAD_Access (ox0001) and code 0 0x0000000a and code 1 0x0258b6fd

More detailed error

===== Saturday, 27 September 2008 14:21:11 Europe/London =====
[diskutil, partitionDisk, /dev/disk1, 1, GPTFormat, HFS+, Patchstick-root, 214M]
Started partitioning on disk disk1
Creating Partition Map
5% …Formatting Disk
e[6D10% …e[6D100% …
Finished partitioning on disk disk1
/dev/disk1
#: type name size identifier
0: GUID_partition_scheme *247.0 MB disk1
1: Apple_HFS Patchstick-root 247.0 MB disk1s1
return code = 0
Invalid memory access of location 0258b6fd eip=9b9a8436
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: An unexpected Java error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine.
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: If this error is reproducible, please report it with the following information:
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: 1. Provide the steps to reproduce, a test case, and any relevant information
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: 2. The corresponding JavaNativeCrash_pid.crash.log (Java state)
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: 3. The corresponding .crash.log (native state; generated by CrashReporter)
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: 4. This data:
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: Java VM: Java HotSpot™ Client VM (1.5.0_16-132 mixed mode, sharing)
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: Bus Error (0xa) at pc=0x9b9a8436
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: Process ID: 870, Current Thread: 25191936
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: File report at: http://bugreport.apple.com/
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: An error report file has been written to:
Sep 27 14:21:21 david-knights-computer /Volumes/aTV Flash/ATVFlash.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: /Users/davidknight/Library/Logs/Java/JavaNativeCrash_pid870.crash.log
Sep 27 14:21:22 david-knights-computer crashdump[883]: JavaApplicationStub crashed
Sep 27 14:21:22 david-knights-computer crashdump[883]: crash report written to: /Users/davidknight/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/JavaApplicationStub.crash.log

Are you sure you have the newest version of Java installed on your Mac? I believe the aTV Flash application was made with the newest Java software. Just run Software Update and see if there is a Java update. If that doesn’t work, just check this as well just to be safe.

Try this, some people have had this problem.

Without any flash drives plugged in go to the Go menu option in Finder and choose Go To Folder…

Type in /Volumes/

You should see your hard drive and any other USB or FireWire drives that are connected. Are there any other folders there that shouldn’t be? I’ve heard that some people had a volume called Patchstick. If you do have a folder called Patchstick so something close to that, put it in the Trash. After putting it in the Trash then plug in a USB stick, format it, and retry the aTV Flash application. aTV relies on the fact that the USB drive is named a speciifc name and if that “Volume” name is already taken, OS X will add a “1” to the end of the USB stick when it is reformatted. Let me know if that is in fact the problem.