I have noticed that Infuse will use an image artwork for a movie if it is in the same directory even if the filename is completely different.
The following page indicates that the filename should be a match though:
Is this the expected behaviour? If so, is it possible to disable local images for artwork?
Welcome to the forum!
Infuse will use the image if there is only a single video in the folder, as Infuse would treat the folder as a playable item in this case.
Unfortunately, this isn’t adjustable in the current version.
I support this idea too.
Can you please make an option to ignore the local metadata for movie artwork.
For example I have an MKV and a JPG with the same name. I would prefer to let Infuse download metadata from internet, and not take the JPG in consideration. I need the JPGs for other DLNA devices from the same network but not for Infuse.
I am just wondering if there is a way to put all my poster, fanart, nfo and so on into my Movies/NAS folder but dont let infuse use them to build metadata cache, because always when I scrape my library with tinymediamanager (which I use for another device with kodi) then infuse is overwriting the movie posters, art, info, text and so on.
I have “use embedded Metadata” off.
Shouldnt Infuse only use the online database from TMDB and not my internal files when I refresh/rescan my library?
Hope you can understand what I mean.
I am thankful for any help.
The “Embedded” means actually a part of the file, the metadata is internal to the file itself.
The approach Infuse uses is that if you go to the trouble to add the local artwork and nfo files to the same directory as the video that you want those to be used. If you don’t want to use the local artwork and nfo then move them to a different directory, maybe have one set up as “Stand By Metadata” for those that you want Infuse to actually gather the metadata.
If you put the files in the same directory as the video Infuse will use it.
If you select “Use Local Metadata” then Infuse won’t gather metadata from the outside source and will only use what you have local.
Embedded = Internal to the video file
Local = Metadata located in the same directory as the video
One additional note, when you have “Use Embedded Metadata” on Infuse will be slower because Infuse then has to scan each file for internal metadata.
Okay, thats a nice explanation. Thank you very much, now I understand it much better.
Will try your folder workaround.
You may also (maybe) try temporarily batch-renaming all the image and metadata file extensions prior to Infuse building its library (and reverting the changes after, if needed for other purposes). I do this occasionally to allow me to more easily check for discrepancies in my library (missing or misidentified movies or tv series) caused by scraping errors that result from changes made to entries at TMDB. I batch-rename all “.jpg” files to “.jxx” and “.nfo” files to “.nxx” — this prevents Infuse entirely from reading (and displaying) my local metadata. This helps me more easily identify scraping errors when I see unfamiliar move posters or titles.
TMDB is really frustrating because they frequently return nonsensical title matches because they have a rather immature API logic.
I noticed the other day, when browsing my collections, that my copy of the 2017 reboot movie “The Mummy” was listed in “The Mummy [Trilogy] Collection” of 1999-2008. TMDB had misidentified my copy of the 2017 movie (the one with Tom Cruise) as a second copy of the 1999 version (the one with Brendan Fraser). This in spite of the fact that the search string includes the release year of the Tom Cruise movie: “The Mummy” with year tag “y:2017”.
Seeking to figure out why, I noticed someone had added to the entry for the 2009 film a release date for a blu-ray re-release (in 2017) of the 1999 film.
TMDB isn’t smart enough to prioritize exact title and initial theatrical release year matches for major motion pictures over films released theatrically decades earlier if someone decides to add DVD re-issues to the database.
Why TMDB is smart enough to display every title in its collection correctly with just one year (the year of the title’s initial release): see “The Mummy (1999)” and “The Mummy (2017)” … but not smart enough, when you search for “The Mummy y:2017” to give you the latter result (a perfect match) if the former got a DVD re-release eighteen years later … I don’t understand.
This is a very common problem with TMDB. I’ve had to both edit their database (when permissible) or change the names of some two dozen of my movies (often to a foreign-language alternative) in order to get them to scrape correctly. And it is a constant game of wack-a-mole, because titles keep getting deleted, renamed, or subsequent additions to their database break previously working searches.