Option for both TMDB and TVDB

The most major one is they now expect payment from either each individual user or the app developer to use its API.

2 Likes

TVDB also has an idiot god mod or two LOL. Several years ago I ran into a ridiculous situation just trying to fix one problem - Space Battleship Yamato, 2199 and 2202. They are properly titled as two different series in both Japanese and English but TVDB lists 2202 as Season 2 of 2199. Great, standing up for your personal beliefs are great, but ignoring the actual TITLE of the show given by its producers is just plain ridiculous. I had been willing to be a participant and contribute but after that one interaction I just walked away from it. I had information for shows from Europe, Russia, Asia I would have been happy to add back then.

Both sites have MODs that think they know it all about ALL movies and shows even the ones they havent watched lol. The same way no one scrapes tvdb for movie metadata is the same way TMDb was for TV shows before the switch. It just wasnā€™t specialized for that and a lot of even semi-mainstream shows are missing even basic episode descriptions and also screenshots. Iā€™m guessing thats why infuse decided to backtrack and use fanart when missing episode art, which is pretty much 3/4 of my libraryā€¦ failā€¦ again. TMDB just wasnt ready to be a MAIN tv scraping source but I guess the rush was due to TVDB changing to v4 and charging for use of its API. After trying out TMDB for all this while, I would PERSONALLy gladly pay the $10 bucks or so a year for the data that I helped currate and contribute to :slight_smile: I mean its a ~$1 a month. Just make it optional so that people who are not willing to pay dont have to.

Sidenote/ app idea
I was thinking how cool it would be if someone developed a self hosted IMDB/TMDB/TVDB/TVRage app that you could host locally and scrapes all 4 sources and you can add and edit whatever info you want and connect it to infuse as a main metadata source/cache.

1 Like

Well at least TVDB had contributors and Mods that were over the age of 12 and not living in their Parentsā€™ loft still !!! Iā€™m just LOVING the way 10% of my Movie Posters change on an almost daily basis now !!! - Iā€™m now having to remember to resort to putting my OWN Poster in now for EVERY movie that I now add to my NAS Media Server (real pain) and even more exciting are the movies that we ALL saw 18 months ago now jumping to the front of the JUST RELEASED queue (apparently a theatrical release in Islamabad take preference to all human logic) ā€¦ and Im still having night terrors over the 2 months of having to rename 65% of my library to names and titles that only a 5 year old could have dreamt up. I think ALL of us with a decent sized library would happily pay for a good scraping service after all - Infuse IS stupidly cheap leaving room for a proper ā€œPROā€ Version ā€¦ leading me on nicely to ā€¦ not getting me started on the simple logic of having the actual Database stored locally on the NAS instead of consuming GB of data on the Apple TV unit let alone making transfers and reconfigs lightening fast. Iā€™d be VERY HAPPY to pay MUCH more for Infuse ā€¦

2 Likes

I agree totally
Every few days itā€™s another stupid surprise.

You are right on all the money!

It should have been put out to the end users to decide. If the fee is only a few dollars per year for maintaining the site and making sure its accurate, I am sure a good portion of us would have agreed.

1 Like

I agree, but!.. Be aware that others, for example Trakt, need to be supporting TVDB as well

I have seen a lot of topics about people not being able to get all correct metadata from TheMovieDB, after having switched from The TVDB.

Personally I find myself in the same position when it comes to certain tv-series. The .nfo is there with the information and id to the TVDB episode information.

Reading several topics, I understand why the switch is made. However, would it be an option to use the TVDB als backup? In case the TMDB does not return anything? In that case you will get the best in from both worlds, when the first option fail.

1 Like

Am getting more and more and more FRUSTRATED and UPSET at the TMDB vs TVDB fiasco the Firecore has caused. I have fairly large (ALMOST 30TB!!) collection of film and tv shows spanning decades across many languages and countries. So many things are missing from TMDB and others are organized in different and even ridiculously incorrect ways. My latest discovery as I have been working through the mess this has created is with the super popular, long running, British TV series Doctor Who. The extra episodes, season 0 specials and other Doctor Who related series are ordered completely incorrectly, nonsensically, not in broadcast or even chronological order, and even assigned to the wrong series. I cannot spend what little precious free time I have with my long work schedules perpetually reorganizing and retitling my collection INSTEAD of enjoying watching it !! This is not the only similar issue with TMDB, but by far the worst I have been dealing with. THOROUGHLY upset and DISGUSTED at FIRECORE by this. It was inconsiderate, even arrogant, and disrespectful to your user base to force this change upon the community with NO INPUT from us or polling of opinions or trying to let us anticipate possible problems and maybe work out solutions ahead of time. It is FIRECOREā€™s sole responsibility at this point to work out a solution to this UTTER FUBAR disaster.

1 Like

Well you are ABSOLUTELY correct - are you expecting anyone to listen tho. Weā€™ve all (those of us that have a PROPER library) been moaning since. Take this week for example where several movies suddenly change fro their release date in 2021 to 2022 meaning the movie unknown - and thatā€™s because some juvenile delinquent (which is what TMDB is run by) decides that a release in Islamabad is the correct thing to do ā€¦ā€¦ and Iā€™m not even going to mention the damn posters that change every day from the nice ones we all had to stupid ones ā€¦. And DONT even get me started on the series posters that suddenly appear in RUSSIAN ā€¦ā€¦ so VERY WRONG ESPECIALLY AT THE MOMENT !!! The naming structure for Tv and specials is totally illogical most of the timeā€¦ā€¦ NONE OF THIS OCCURS WITH TTVDB !!! PLEX is WAY ahead in their naming structure. So good moan mate - vent away - but no one is listening. Just like the actual DB which SHOULD be able to be stored on our NAS and not on EACH ATV separately so it takes us 3 days to recompile after a reinstall or clearout. Iā€™m afraid that the only things that seem to get proper programming attention is for the various kids that continually complain that they canā€™t get their Marvel universe collections organised properly - it seems that most work is concentrated on IOS users with their gigantic library of 10 movies and 4 TV series LOOOOL

Oh ā€¦. And of course I forgot about the requests for IMDB and Rotten Tomato which go back over FIVE YEARS NOW !!!

I should also mention PICK OF THE DAY (I think there must have been an R missing from the first word) - I mean SERIOUSLY - someone actually thought that they need to waste valuable programming time on that ??? WTF ??? - if it wasnā€™t actually so funny it would be annoying

1 Like

I forgot about that. Itā€™s utterly stupid. IMDB would be awesome as an option as well. Totally Agree

Yes, all your comments are right on the money. I hadnā€™t realized about the release dates changing after being entered. I was adding new entries and noticed a handful release dates were wonky. Now I know why- Thanks. and yeah what the hell is going on with the posters. Its RIDICULOUS. And the RUSSIAN ONES! FOR GODS SAKE. I can understand and read some but I DONT WANT THAT CRAP on my system if the media isnā€™t Russian!!

I hope you are seeing these recent comments. Other users are upset and unhappy at the situation as well. Please send the information up the food chain, as loudly and as often as possible. Raking or opting other db sources and offering that as an option even with an extra charge REALLY needs to be looked at seriously and solution offered. Storing the Metadata on NAS or Hard Drives should ALSO be an option to select.

Winning the lottery might be easier my friend - this thread alone (one of many) is nearly 1 year old now ā€¦ā€¦ anyway I have to go now - all my Hey Duggee episodes are in a mess and I need to start a post about putting it into collections !!!

I agree with you and @SoCalAV about the TMBD. I personally think itā€™s not as good as the TVDB. However, as far as I understand (asked about it in an other topic) it so far it has to do with the amount of api calls that need to be made to get all the info.

However, I do understand your frustration. I have movies and tv-series that are indexed completely wrong or not indexed at all, because the information is not available on the TMBD, where Kodi does index it with the TVDB. Itā€™s a pitty.

A good option would indeed be an extra possibility to store the database on a NAS or let it connect with some MySQL/MardiaDB/PostGreSQL server. You could always do a feature request. I do have to say that all my feature requests and changes are denied so far. :frowning: Then again, they probable have a clear idea of what they want with the software.

I still donā€™t get the navigation and indexing part. I really donā€™t like the whole list of all un indexed files. I have stored everything in folders and season folders. But donā€™t see that back in the navigation for items that can not be indexed. One single list with all items is unclear. I did a request to at least show the folders. But that was rejected. Itā€™s that and the removal of TVDB, that stops me from purchasing a full lifetime license.

1 Like

I can only repeat what I already said about the people running TMDB.
They are ignorant, arrogant and behave like litte gods. They believe they know things even better than than those people who created the movies and TV Shows. They have ridiculous rules for creating collections, even for movies they have never watched (Iā€™m pretty sure of that). And because they created those rules, they must be correct and the only truth.

changing of artwork, release dates and other metadata is only one point.

Loool - so you got banned as well as me for complaining then ā€¦ā€¦ :joy:

Neverland- I am having much the same issues. The problem is I did purchase a license for the Pro version several years ago - well before this change. I was fairly satisfied with the software beyond the occasional technical glitches. The big one for me these days is the HDR /DolbyVision problems with the different profiles and how the AppleTVs and display devices interact. I work in AV industry, and trust me, AppleTV and Firecore are not the only ones having issues with how the various formats work, interact, automateā€¦ itā€™s really absurd. Samsung, LG, Sony, etc all have bugs and idiosyncrasiesā€¦ Thatā€™s why I rarely rant or post about HDR DV on the forumsā€¦