Not impressed so far

This looked like interesting software for an ATV 2 but after several tries at jailbreaking/tethered boot/atv install it still isn't working correctly and I am tired of restoring and doing all of this over and over.

jailbreak/tethered boot/install has all gone correctly...multiple times but when i go to the menu all i see is the regular ATV menu (no maintenance options, ect).  Then after restart I don't even get that...just the apple logo and now i can't even get back to the normal screen.  

Additionally, I'm not entirely sure what ATV does, compared to the other apps like MiRow, Couch Surfer, etc.  This site really doesn't do a great job at explaining all of this stuff to a newby.

Had hoped for more and have now spent $20 and countless hours for an apple logo and very little intuitive instructions.

Can you ssh to the box after you jb it? I am guessing no, bceause you said that the menu is the same. Sounds to me as if the JB didn't work for you for some reaosn.

This seems to happen to me a fair bit but it is jailbroken.

If maintenance menu isn’t showing after installing ATV Flash then you need to restart lowtide. Either do this by ssh’ing into ATV and running the ‘killall -9 AppleTV’ command (without inverted commas).

Or, just run the ATV Flash (black) installer app again from Mac as this includes a restart of Lowtide at end.

Both above steps work for me every time.

Yes I'm not either.  I jb my Apple TV 1G got it working with airport extreme to load eternal hd.  Everything sounds great but no Netflix.  So I bought the 2G and did the aTV Flash but wont access an external hd.  So I loaded OSX on external hd and loaded OSX on it and set up my 1G to run as an iTunes server and it works great not sure if I'm going to jb my new 2G that is in the mail.  The major problem I'm having with the new one is it loses the WIFI every time I turn it on.  Have to set up WIFI everyday not happy.

Thanks for the responses... unfortunately I don't even know what SSH is or how to do it.  I am a fairly technically astute person.  I'm not a developer or anything but have been involved with software companies for almost 20 years.  I know my way around a computer and can follow well-written directions.  Me and my buddy who has owned Macs for many years and has many ATV's that were never unlocked sat down and tried to do this the other night with 2 Macs set up trying to do this with 2 ATV Blacks.  Guess what?  Neither are working yet!  My whole point with my original post is that if we can't get this thing going with the instructions that are on this site and some bit of aptitude then how are most people going to fare? 

OK....in addition to whining about it I am going to take the time to list what I think needs to be answered in order to make this easier.  If someone wants to take this and make better install instructions more power to you.  If nothing else it will illustrate the questions we asked ourselves.

JAILBREAK

- While trying to get the ATV into DFU what do you do if it doesn't go into DFU after 7 seconds?  Do you unplug everything and try again?  Do you keep everything plugged in and just push the two buttons again for 7 seconds?  What are the lights supposed to be doing on the ATV during this process? 

- Is there a way to test and see if a jailbreak was successful (other than the app saying it worked correctly)? 

- iTunes says to connect to a PC after restoring.  Are you supposed to do that?

TEATHERED BOOT

- Once a tethered boot has been completed you’re supposed to connect the ATV to an HDMI cable.  Any HDMI cable or does the other end have to be connected to a TV?  If so does the TV have to be running and/or on a certain setting?

- When are you supposed to plug the ATV power in?

- The instructions mention getting an HDMI cable plugged in before the flashing light stops.  I'm not sure we ever saw flashing lights.  We've plugged the ATV in and then the ATV flashes but doesn't stop.

- Is there a way to test and see if a tethered boot was successful (other than the app saying it worked correctly)?

INSTALLING ATV Flash (This appeared to go smoothly but apparently didn't)

- After doing the install is the ATV menu supposed to appear on the screen?  Ours didn't.  We just get the same basic ATV menu (no additional options).

- What now?  Do you reset the ATV, do a more in depth reboot or?  We reset the ATV and unplugged it and now only have the Apple Logo staring at us.  We can't even get to the basic ATV menu now and have reformatted and followed the process numerous times with the same outcome.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS

- Once ATV Flash is successfully installed, what exactly are we supposed to see?  What will $20 and all this effort get me?  In other words what new functionality is now added to our ATV service?  It seems like even with ATV Flash I still need to add a bunch of other stuff. 

- What is MiRow, Couch Surfer, Nitto, Sapphire, XBMC, etc and why do I want them.  From reading the ATV Flash website it is hard to distinguish what ATV Flash does that some of these other things don't. It's a bit vague to me.

I hope this helps the developers understand that some of these things could be more clear for those of us trying this for the first, second...make that the 7th time :-)

[quote="georges.5511"]

Thanks for the responses... unfortunately I don't even know what SSH is or how to do it.  I am a fairly technically astute person.  I'm not a developer or anything but have been involved with software companies for almost 20 years.  I know my way around a computer and can follow well-written directions.  Me and my buddy who has owned Macs for many years and has many ATV's that were never unlocked sat down and tried to do this the other night with 2 Macs set up trying to do this with 2 ATV Blacks.  Guess what?  Neither are working yet!  My whole point with my original post is that if we can't get this thing going with the instructions that are on this site and some bit of aptitude then how are most people going to fare? 

OK....in addition to whining about it I am going to take the time to list what I think needs to be answered in order to make this easier.  If someone wants to take this and make better install instructions more power to you.  If nothing else it will illustrate the questions we asked ourselves.

JAILBREAK

- While trying to get the ATV into DFU what do you do if it doesn't go into DFU after 7 seconds?  Do you unplug everything and try again?  Do you keep everything plugged in and just push the two buttons again for 7 seconds?  What are the lights supposed to be doing on the ATV during this process? 

[/quote]

I usually hold Menu and down until it reboots and then try for DFU mode again

[quote="georges.5511"]

- Is there a way to test and see if a jailbreak was successful (other than the app saying it worked correctly)? 

[/quote]

BY hooking it to a TV

[quote="georges.5511"]

- iTunes says to connect to a PC after restoring.  Are you supposed to do that?

[/quote]

Once you runthe jailbreak, all you have to do is unplug it from the PC and plug it into the TV via HDMI

[quote="georges.5511"]

TEATHERED BOOT

- Once a tethered boot has been completed you’re supposed to connect the ATV to an HDMI cable.  Any HDMI cable or does the other end have to be connected to a TV?  If so does the TV have to be running and/or on a certain setting?

[/quote]

As far as I know, it needs to be connected to a TV. the TV should (just for piece of mind I think) be set to the HDMI input so that you can see it when it comes up

[quote="georges.5511"]

- When are you supposed to plug the ATV power in?

[/quote]

the power should be plugged in while you are tethered booting it. Once you reboot, you will have to re-tetheredboot which requires you to have the power plugged in

[quote="georges.5511"]

- The instructions mention getting an HDMI cable plugged in before the flashing light stops.  I'm not sure we ever saw flashing lights.  We've plugged the ATV in and then the ATV flashes but doesn't stop.

[/quote]

if you unplugged the ATV then you will have to tether boot again

[quote="georges.5511"]

- Is there a way to test and see if a tethered boot was successful (other than the app saying it worked correctly)?

[/quote]

Plug it into a TV

[quote="georges.5511"]

INSTALLING ATV Flash (This appeared to go smoothly but apparently didn't)

- After doing the install is the ATV menu supposed to appear on the screen?  Ours didn't.  We just get the same basic ATV menu (no additional options).

[/quote]

Then something didn't work

[quote="georges.5511"]

- What now?  Do you reset the ATV, do a more in depth reboot or?  We reset the ATV and unplugged it and now only have the Apple Logo staring at us.  We can't even get to the basic ATV menu now and have reformatted and followed the process numerous times with the same outcome.

[/quote]

Sounds like you are jailbroken but need to tetherboot the thing

[quote="georges.5511"]

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS

- Once ATV Flash is successfully installed, what exactly are we supposed to see?  What will $20 and all this effort get me?  In other words what new functionality is now added to our ATV service?  It seems like even with ATV Flash I still need to add a bunch of other stuff. 

[/quote]

I don't have a Screenshot of mine, but it will get you a Maintenance Menu, Nitotv and if you so desire Plex, XBMC and some other goodies. I like XBMC for watching my movies (mostly in .avi format) from my NAS

[quote="georges.5511"]

- What is MiRow, Couch Surfer, Nitto, Sapphire, XBMC, etc and why do I want them.  From reading the ATV Flash website it is hard to distinguish what ATV Flash does that some of these other things don't. It's a bit vague to me.

[/quote]

Mirow = ??? to me, I don't use it

Nitotv lets you install additional software on your ATV2

Sapphire = ??? Never used it

Couch Surfer = Web Browser right on your ATV2

XBMC = XBox Media Center (at least that is what it used to stand for). It lets you mount shares for music, video, pictures, etc. and watch them on your TV from local sources such as a NAS or another computer.

[quote="georges.5511"]

I hope this helps the developers understand that some of these things could be more clear for those of us trying this for the first, second...make that the 7th time :-)

[/quote]

I am not one of the devs, but I hope this helps at least a little

I've jailbroken my ATV numerous times and have encountered a number of quirks - specifically that Maintenance menu doesn't always appear straight after installing ATV Flash (Black).

The fact that you were able to successfully run ATV Flash (Black), however, would imply that you have successfully jailbroken your ATV2, because this needs the root access gained by jailbreaking in order to transfer the files.  I think that all you need to do here is to 'restart LowTide' for the maintenance menu to show.

I would recommend one of the following two options:

1. Re-run the ATV Flash (black) application from your Mac for a second time.  Do not restore ATV again in iTunes.  LowTide gets restarted at the end of the process and Maintenance menu will then show up.

2. On your Mac go to Utlities folder within Applications and open up Terminal.  This will open command prompt screen. In that window enter the following commands one at a time:

ssh root@Apple-TV.local  <put all this on one line i.e. 'ssh root@.....' - this forum seems to be formatting this funny>

at password prompt, type 'alpine' without inverted commas

killall -9 AppleTV

>> This should cause LowTide (home screen app) to restart and the maintenance menu from Firecore should now be on far right of the menu.  Incidentally, if you are able to run the 'ssh root@Apple-TV.local' command from Terminal successfully (i.e. login to root of Apple TV) then this will prove that the jailbreak was successful.  This also presumes that you have not changed your Apple TV name from the default - i.e. 'Apple TV' - but if it doesn't work you can try:

ssh root@your.AppleTV2.IPaddress

I would suggest restoring ATV in iTunes, running seas0npass to jailbreak, do the boot tethered bit and then run ATV Flash (black) application from your Mac twice.  If you still don't have the Maintenance menu after that try the Terminal stuff.  This does work I can assure you but bear in mind it is still a beta so the Firecore devs still have some issues to iron out.  Seas0npass though is by far the most straight forward jailbreaking tool I have ever used.

Incidentally, I believe there will be an update to seas0npass to incorporate the new greenpois0n exploit which will mean that there will be no further need to do the 'boot tethered' option - once it's jailbroken it will then be possible to unplug the ATV and plug it back in at will without needing computer assistance to reboot it.

Hope the above helps!

I got mine working easy and Im awful with computers. Even got xbmc to install easy as.

• To jailbreak you plug USB in and run jailbreak.
  • Once that finished you need to do a tethered boot and this is where I had problems. The website doesn’t say you have to wait a little before plugging the power cord. Plug in USB first. A light will blink. Wait until it blinks rapidly then plug in the power cord. Then enter dfu mode. And you fully jail broken.
  • plug hdmi in appletv then make sure you have network connection and turn on airplay and homesharing.
  • go back to you Mac and install the software. First time I did this it didn’t work so I ran install a second time as people suggest on this forum and the appletv restarted and maintenance menu appeared.

Hope this helps. The most important bit is the tethered boot and the timing when you plug the power cord in. Loads of people make the mistake of plugging it in at same time as USB.

I never remove the power cord when I reboot the device. you don't need to, I would just leave it plugged in when you get to the boot stage forward. I have to move my ATV2 from 1 room to another because of a lack of an intel Mac laptop or Mac mini (I have a G4 Mac mini out there, but I cannot get SP to work on it :(  )

Spent another 2 hours with it last night...lotsa fun!  Must be even cooler when you actually get this stuff installed!

Quick question:  During tethered boot the USB and power cord are connected.  When boot is completed I know you are supposed to connnect HDMI but are you supposed to keep the power cord connected or?  When I connect the HDMI I get a blank screen.  Then when I try resetting the ATV I get an Apple logo....that's it.  What am I supposed to see on the TV screen when a successful tethered boot has been accomplished?

For tethered boot do the following:

• Open Seas0npass and click on 'Boot tethered' button
  • Connect ATV to Mac via USB (not power just yet)
  • Watch blinking light on front of ATV - when it starts blinking faster, plug in the power cable
  • Hold down the buttons on the remote to get DFU mode (seas0npass detects it and starts the process)
  • When seas0npass says it is complete, disconnect the USB only (if you disconnect power you need to do tethered boot all over again.)
  • Plug HDMI cable into TV - home screen should pop up.

If home screen does not show up and it's black screen, try the following:

• If you press on the remote 'Menu' button does it make the distinctive ATV navigation sound?
  • If yes, you need to restart LowTide: open Terminal on Mac and follow the ssh root@yourATVIPaddress instructions to login to ATV and then type the 'killall -9 AppleTV' command (without inverted commas).
  • Lowtide should restart and you should see menu

You can of course bypass the ssh stuff and try running the ATV Flash (black) app when the screen is black - the restart of LowTide at the end should then force it back to the now modified home screen.

Hope that helps.

I have tried this exact same teathered boot procedure...with and without the power plug staying in and always get black screen.  If I am able to get anything it's an Apple Logo and that's it.  I guess I will have to mess with LowTide tonight.  The $20 was the easy part.  It's the 8 to 10 man hours to get all this crap working that is the true cost!

Once you boot tethered you cannot unplug it, or you will have to boot tethered again, just disconnect the USB and plug in the HDMI

Did you already try running the ATV Flash (Black) app for a second time already?  If that didn't help, it really is very straight forward to restart LowTide via Terminal. Takes about 30 seconds tops.

Alternatively, just wait a week or two.  The new 'untethered' greenpois0n exploit will definitely make it's way to ATV2 soon so there would be no more need to do the tethered boot process.  Once jailbroken with that exploit if you encountered the black screen again all you'd need to do is just unplug your ATV and reboot it - that would probably fix the problems you're having and not waste any more of your time.

The developers of greenpois0n have said that the version for ATV is coming soon but they'll also open source the exploit so expect it to make it's way into seas0npass eventually too.

Well probably 10 hours into it I finally got this stuff installed.  Finally got the maintenance option, etc.  This wasn't from doing anything different but just trying it again and again!  Installed a bunch of the available utilities and all.  While looking through the XBMC app it crashed back to the Apple Logo.  A reset and reboot didn't fix that so I gave up for the night. 

Now that I'm certain everythig has been installed what do you do once something crashed back to the Apple Logo?  How do you get the main screen back?

Also I now see that there doesn't seeem to be an option for flash video or boxee/firefox yet with ATV Black correct?  That's a bummer.

Thanks for help guys!

If you're just seeing the Apple logo then I think it has rebooted and hence is stuck there because the jailbreak is currently 'tethered'. When you say you rebooted, did you mean you'd rebooted using mac for assistance? If you run seas0npass to do the 'boot tethered' process again you should be good and be able to use the new stuff.  Hopefully you won't get the black screen again.  Every time the ATV reboots currently it needs to be connected via USB and seas0npass run for tethered boot.  Like i said before this is likely to change soon.

There was a post in here somewhere about porting flash to ATV to which James from Firecore team basically said it wasn't likely to happen because performance was really poor and they were focussing on streaming html5 instead.  To be honest, I've found that XBMC more than satisfies my needs. 

OK..(thank you)

So are you able to view flash video from the web with XBMC?  Can you offer any tips on maling that happen?

Sometimes I need to unplug and reinsert the HDMI cable a second time if the Home screen does not show. But I think that is key to a lot of people's problems. You should never see the Apple screen on your HDTV while performing the tethered boot becuase you should not have you HDMI cable plugged in.