Not all AVI files are playing

Hey,s

I am experiencing a problem where not all AVI files are playing.  I can’t seem to figure out why.  I am getting an error that says: “Playback error, an error occurred loading this content”

This is happening only with some and not all AVI files.  Any thoughts?

J

I have exactly the same issue, I have filed a bug report to the support team. Will see what they come up with.

Stewart

me too.  avi files from my digital camera will not play. same error.

yes that right , the not play all avi files. please make the media player better 

or just recode these files using handbrake for atv format

i’ve got hundreds of video clips from my digital camera so conversion is not a realistic option.  i purchased atv flash (black) primarily to show these files on the tv from my comoputer using atv2.  when i backup my favorite movies i am using an atv2 friendly format.

would using xmbc on atv2 be any different?  i have yet been able to add shares to xmbc so i have not tried that yet.  i am somehwat of a n00b, and would prefer to keep things simple and run through media player.

i’m on a pc and use dvdfab8 sometimes.

Can you try running one of the files through MediaInfo and send us the specs?

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Chances are your camera is recording in a very high framerate (sometimes as high as 60 FPS) which won’t be supported on the AppleTV.

General
Complete name                    : C:\Users\Karen\Pictures\2011-08-24 - 2011-10-10 F20\2011-10-10 F20 011.AVI
Format                           : AVI
Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
File size                        : 21.2 MiB
Duration                         : 19s 0ms
Overall bit rate                 : 9 353 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 0
Format                           : JPEG
Codec ID                         : MJPG
Bit rate                         : 9 213 Kbps
Width                            : 640 pixels
Height                           : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:2
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.000
Stream size                      : 20.9 MiB (99%)
Title                            : FUJIFILM AVI STREAM 0100

Audio
ID                               : 1
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Sign            : Unsigned
Codec ID                         : 1
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
Sampling rate                    : 16.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Stream size                      : 297 KiB (1%)
Interleave, duration             : 1000 ms (30.00 video frames)
Interleave, preload duration     : 1000 ms

Hi everyone,

I am having the same difficulties (I am experiencing a problem where not all AVI files are playing. “Playback error, an error occurred loading this content”). Has this issue been solved in the meantime? Since VLC plays all files, is there a way that the VLC player can be integrated into the aTV Flash? That may solve the problem

Thanks,

P

When I go to the web site “I want to watchthis.com” I can select the movie however tv2 won’t let me play watch the video on active stream just like on my Mac desktop. I have downloaded the lasted version and still nada. Does this unit not allow us to watch streaming video? I really hoped it would as I was trying to save the bucks on other similar units. let me know if there is anything in the near future coming down the pipe before I take this back. Long live the hacks!

P

I have the same problem. Media player refuses to play files encoded by Handbrake in aTV format. But if I add the file to iTunes on my Mac and access that library from my aTV the same file plays fine. So there is definitely an issue here with the media player.

If you’re still having trouble please open a support ticket, and we can try and track down what’s going on.

I was having problems and then downloaded Plex. All movies that I download now play just fine, without having to use Itunes. My problem is that when I surf the net with the TV2 and go to websites that stream movies, I get an error code that says unavailable and cannot stream to or through the device. I would like to figure out or have someone tell me why this is not possible. Is it because it is an IOS device and cannot stream formats directly from the internet? The IMac that I have works fine but it does support Adobe, but that is not the same with the TV2. 

And that is where my problem is still unresolved. Hope you guys can come up with a jailbreak or a downloadable app that allows those of us who purchased this product to finally be able to get through this problem

S