No audio with Dolby 5.1 and DTS in Media Player

I can't play Dolby 5.1 or DTS from movies with the Media Player. If i select one of those two, i only get some sort of static noise. Playback in 2.0 works fine.

Could you please help me.

This is the only thing that's troubling me, for the rest, excellent work. Very Pleased!!! :D

Is your AppleTV connected to an AV receiver, or just a TV?

Using an HDMI or optical cable?

James,

It’s connected to my Onkyo Receiver via a HDMI cable.

I also have the same problem.  I’m connected to my receiver via an optical cable and HDMI cable to the TV.  Just a short, static noise then no sound from the receiver. I ticketed this awhile back.  Followed the recommended steps to troubleshoot that I was given and nothing seemed to work.  Send bug report in and never heard back from anyone and my ticket was closed.  So I’ve gone back to using Plex until this is fixed. The working DTS and DD was the main reason I preordered, it was upsetting when it worked great then an update broke it. Hope theres a fix soon!

Sounds silly! But did you enable DTS and DD in you ATV setting? My setup: IPSW 4.4.3 hacked with SeasOnPass, aTV black 1.0, optical connection to my Onkyo receiver. Works all fine.

Same issue here for the last 4 months.

Connected to a Krell S-1200U with HDMI cable and yes both AC3 and DTS are enabled under Media Player.

Problem has been reported to Tech Support since the early betas and even with version 1.0 they haven’t been able to fix this problem. 

PLEX and XBMC are working properly with the same type of files. It doesn’t matter if the media is MKV or regular ISO. With both files the issue is the same.

When AC3 is disable sound is produced by MP but in stereo mode.

BTW, DTS options works properly when enable and the movie has DTS tracks. At least in my case.

I have the same problem; Media Player is working almost perfect! But I can’t play any DTS audio, there’s no sound at all. It is enabled in the settings like others have mentioned, but it is not working properly. I have a HDMI cable connected, but I don’t think that this is the problem. To me it sounds like a codec that is missing.

Can someone please help and/or make sure that this is fixed in the next update?

That is strange. In my case DTS movies are working fine. I only have the problem with AC3 audio tracks.

You should also report the problem with techsupport. When I did mine, they said everybody was fine and I was the only one experiencing this issue.

I think they need to be aware of other having audio problems so they allocate the necessary resources to the problem.

As you, I am very please with the product and there are just some minor problems to be corrected, but this one in particular it is a deal breaker for me.

I also see the same issue. 

ATV optical out to Sony Stereo Receiver 

If I have AC3 enabled I get no sound from receiver and only static from TV (HDMI)

Turn off AC3 and have sound from both no static

Hey guess what…if I disable DTS it works! I don’t know why, maybe it is using a different audio stream (AC) in that case but most important is that is seems to be working!

I really hope they get to see all these postings and realize there is a real problem with the audio track decoding and it is not a simple setting when connected directly to a TV, but it really happens when connected to high-end audio receivers such as YAMAHA, ONKYO, DENON and in my particular case a KRELL S-1200U PROCESSOR.

We’re working hard to track down what’s going on, but so far we’ve not been able to replicate the issue on our end using a handful of Yamaha, and Denon brand receivers, connected using either HDMI or optical.

We had one user send in a sample file he was having trouble with, but that too played ok here.

So, in an effort to establish a pattern and track down what’s going on can those who are having trouble post the following information.

1. Brand and model number of AV receiver.
  2. How is your AppleTV connected to your receiver? (E.G. HDMI from AppleTV to receiver - HDMI from receiver to TV)
  3. Version of AppleTV software (check in Settings --> General --> About).
  4. Are AC3 and DTS enabled or disabled in Media --> Settings menu?
  5. Are you having trouble with AC3 or DTS sound?
  6. Confirm you are running the latest version of Media Player (check in Maintenance --> Manage Extras - version 1.0 should be listed and marked as 'Installed')

Note: If you’re getting correct AC3/DTS sound via your stereo, but static on your TV this is expected behavior in the current version, but hopefully something we can address in the future.

Hi James,

Here is my information, see my answers below each of your questions:

1. Brand and model number of AV receiver. KRELL S-1200U WITH LATEST FIRMWARE AND SOFTWARE.
  2. How is your AppleTV connected to your receiver? (E.G. HDMI from AppleTV to receiver - HDMI from receiver to TV) CONNECTED TO RECEIVER VI HDMI.
  3. Version of AppleTV software (check in Settings --> General --> About). 4.3
  4. Are AC3 and DTS enabled or disabled in Media --> Settings menu? AC3 and DTS are enable, when AC3 option is enabled no sound is produced, when AC3 option is disable sound is produced, but it is in STEREO mode. Also, as previously mentioned MP changes the AppleTV audio option from AUTO to 16bit. Furthere more this behavior happens with all DVD media on MKV and ISO files. BUT Bluray media works properly. Sample files with MediaInfo has been already submitted to Support.
  5. Are you having trouble with AC3 or DTS sound? Problem only happens wih AC3.
  6. Confirm you are running the latest version of Media Player (check in Maintenance --> Manage Extras - version 1.0 should be listed and marked as 'Installed') yes, running version 1.0.

Hi Guys,

Here si my info:

Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver

ATV2 > HDMI > Receiver > HDMI  > TV

Apple software 4.2.1.(2100)

If i have got DTS enabled, and i try ro play DTS i get the noise. The same with AC3. When disabled i get stereo sound.

Media Player version 1.0

"So, in an effort to establish a pattern and track down what's going on can those who are having trouble post the following information.

1. Brand and model number of AV receiver.
  2. How is your AppleTV connected to your receiver? (E.G. HDMI from AppleTV to receiver - HDMI from receiver to TV)
  3. Version of AppleTV software (check in Settings --> General --> About).
  4. Are AC3 and DTS enabled or disabled in Media --> Settings menu?
  5. Are you having trouble with AC3 or DTS sound?
  6. Confirm you are running the latest version of Media Player (check in Maintenance --> Manage Extras - version 1.0 should be listed and marked as 'Installed')"

1.  Denon AVR2105 receiver

2.  Apple tv 2 via hdmi to Philips TV via digital coax to Denon AVR

3.  Apple tv 4.2.2

4.  AC3 enabled + DTS enabled

5.  No trouble with AC3, but static with DTS, both on tv speakers or speakers on Denon AVR

6.  Media Player 1.0-192831

temporary solution: setting the DTS to Disabled gives me stereo…

hi 

need a bit of help I’m not getting any AC3 DD when playing files on media player ATV 1.1 it was the same on 1. now the thing is i am getting DTS sounds great too. everything  is enabled and have tried disabling DTS still no good!

now i do get AC3 DD when playing files on iTunes  the same file? 

its all going through my reciver HDMI and then to the TV. and no luck over optical ether!

Nad t747

apple tv 4.3

hdmi and have tried optical

no AC3 DD at all no sound DTS fine same file works with AC3 on iTunes 

now i have tried  everything i can think of some help would be greatly appreciated!

ATV software 4.3 8f455

all other software upto date

i also get the crackling noise when loading AC3 audio.

1. Brand and model number of AV receiver. Yamaha HTR-6230. Capable of Pro Logic, Pro Logic II, AAC, AC3/Dolby Digital, DTS. Latest firmware.
  2. How is your AppleTV connected to your receiver? (E.G. HDMI from AppleTV to receiver - HDMI from receiver to TV) Apple TV 2 is connected to tv with HDMI, then Optical Audio Out from TV to receiver with SPDIF for audio
  3. Version of AppleTV software (check in Settings --> General --> About). 4.3
  4. Are AC3 and DTS enabled or disabled in Media --> Settings menu? The Crackling happends only when playing AC3 is enabled and i try to play a video file with AC3 audio.  My receiver remains in Pro Logic while in any menu. When I have AC3 enabled and try to play a video with AC3, The receiver switches from Pro Logic to Dolby Digital. At the time it switches I hear the crackling. This clearly shows that the crackling occurs when enabled AC3 audio and/or switching from Pro Logic o Doldby Digital/AC3. If I turn off AC3 and play a video with AC3, the crackling stops but he audio comes out as Pro Logic and never swiched to Dolby Digital. My receiver shows me which Type of audio is playing on the front so I can see that the crackling happens at the same second it switches to Dolb Digital/AC3. I have also tried this test with SPDIF plugged straight into receiver, bypassing the TV and got the same result. This problem happens with AVI, MKV, M4v and MP4 files with AC3 Dolby Digital audio. The crackling only happens once when it switched to Dolby digital and then does not happen again throughout the video. If i pause a video, the receiver switches back to Pro Logic. Then when I resume play the receiver goes back to dolby digital and crackles again when enabling it.
  5. Are you having trouble with AC3 or DTS sound? Some of the video files I had that were DTS audio played but warned me that they would be glitchy and they were. I converted them to AC3 and now they work flawlessly. (Crackling does still occur)
  6. Confirm you are running the latest version of Media Player (check in Maintenance --> Manage Extras - version 1.0 should be listed and marked as 'Installed') Correct.

Clearly this crackling is occurring when AC3/Dolby Digital is enabled and the receiver switches to it. This happened both when I tried to load from my shared macbook pro and from a network HD so that is not the issue. This obviously is not a hardware problem bc so many people have it on different receivers but I bet anyone who has the problem gets it right when switching to dolby digital audio.

I'll start by describing the two things I've experienced as a problem. 
Problem a) Pressing play after pausing makes a static click sound that is pretty loud. 
Problem b) This is likely related to problem a. A few files don't play sound with DTS enabled (like the other users posting in this forum). The files are .mkv and 5.1 audio. 

1. Brand and model number of AV receiver. -It's a Kenwood from about 2002. Irrelevant though. I'm connected directly to my TV, and my TV to my receiver. My TV is a Vizio purchased mid 2009.
  2. How is your AppleTV connected to your receiver? (E.G. HDMI from AppleTV to receiver - HDMI from receiver to TV) -aTV2 (via HDM) >  TV (via RCA) > Receiver
  3. Version of AppleTV software (check in Settings --> General --> About). -  4.2.2 (2203)
  4. Are AC3 and DTS enabled or disabled in Media --> Settings menu? -Yes, both are enabled when problem persists.
  5. Are you having trouble with AC3 or DTS sound? - I'm not sure. I noticed the files that don't play are 5.1
  6. Confirm you are running the latest version of Media Player (check in Maintenance --> Manage Extras - version 1.0 should be listed and marked as 'Installed') - Yes.

I'm happy to help troubleshoot anytime.
-Randy

I have found a fix. Go to Settings->Audio & Video and set Sound Effects to Off. This will stop the 'crackling" sound when playing AC3 or DTS videos.

This fix doesn’t fix anything in my case.

AC3 and DTS files were fully functional with aTV flash black a few weeks ago, with beta versions.

I only updated to aTV flash V1.0 then V1.1

I don’t know if this bug was bring with v1.0 or v1.1.

My configuration is :

Apple TV 2 connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V661 Home cinema amplifier

iOS 4.3 (8F455)

AC-3 16 bit in Apple TV configuration Menu

AC-3 and DTS allowed in aTV Flash Black configuration menu