NitoTV/DVD playback issue

Hi all – so I’ve updated to NitoTV 0.5, and one feature of that which I really like is that you can toggle the subtitles by holding the left apple remote button for a couple seconds. This program seems to work well for just about all of my ripped DVDs (as Video_TS folders), once I got the aspect ratios right so it fills the screen.

However, there is one DVD which behaves totally differently and I can’t figure it out. It loads up to the menu of the DVD, but when I hit up or down, it changes the volume settings instead of moving up and down the menu. Initially, hitting the play button on the remote does nothing, but if I screw around long enough (I think by toggling the keymap on the remote), I can finally get it to play the movie. Trouble is, the movie is in german and then the “toggle subtitle” feature doesn’t work (though interstingly it lets me toggle the audio channel by using the right remote button, but the left button does nothing). This seems to be the only DVD that does this, and I can’t figure out why. Does anyone have any insight into why it seems some DVDs behave differently, and if so, how to get this play more reliably and with subtitles?

nito just informed us that he is nearing completion of an updated plugin that will allow for DVD playback through Quicktime. This will greatly improve the DVD playback experience on the Apple TV, and should be available inside of 2 weeks.

thanks! I’ve always wondered why it hasn’t been possible to play video_ts files on the appletv as smoothly as frontrow on a mac does. maybe this will take care of it. Even as it is, it’s pretty nice, but if he figures out a way to improve it and and make it more usable, sounds good to me!

Any idea if he will finally include 5.1 playback for DVDs? As I understand it the perian codecs provide 5.1 support, so should the DVD playback through quicktime we should be able to get our DD and DTS correct?

Any idea if he will finally include 5.1 playback for DVDs? As I understand it the perian codecs provide 5.1 support, so should the DVD playback through quicktime we should be able to get our DD and DTS correct?[/quote]

Yes, in theory. This should allow the DVDs to be played back through Sapphire, which does support AC3 pass through and 5.1. :slight_smile: