Next Episode Timeout

I’ve noticed that specifically when connected by WebDAV to my NAS, after watching a program of about 20min in length, the “next episode” feature almost always results in an “error has occurred” when attempting to load the next episode. My NAS is set to hibernate after 15 min of inactivity, and I suspect the next episode loading wakes up the NAS, yet the amount of time Infuse calls for before registering a timeout error is less than the ~10-15 seconds it takes for the NAS disks to reinitialize. I’m not sure why this doesn’t occur with SMB — maybe the disk wake-up is somehow prioritized just enough that it escapes the timeout in Infuse. As soon as I back out of the error and load the same episode it was trying to next load, it plays just fine. Wondering if there might be a way to change the timeout error delay to avoid this for those of use who use NAS disk hibernation.

I know on my NAS it takes about 20 to 30 seconds to fully wake from hibernation so it’s pretty sure that Infuse is timing out waiting. I’d suggest that you consider setting your sleep time on the NAS to at least an hour. It’s probably more wear and tear on the NAS spinning up and stopping every time it wakes and sleeps so an hour would cover you for most tv shows and be easier on your NAS.

Double checked and my hibernation is set to 10 min. I have quite fast Wi-Fi and can therefore buffer a 22 minute show in 1 minute (350megabit/s), so you’re likely correct that it’s hitting hibernation halfway through a show and then waking ten minutes after sleeping. I have drives with very high purported load/unload cycle counts, and it’s often hibernated aside from large swaths of time in the evening when I watch TV, but still it would be great if there was a checkbox or user selectable option to extend the timeout logic to maybe include 30 seconds or a minute.

You can also try changing the streaming cache setting in the Infuse playback settings. Try setting it to Memory Only and see if that helps. You can also try Legacy to see if that hits often enough to keep things awake.

I’m sure this has been asked before — but could I get a more detailed explanation of the below:

• Streaming Cache - Auto enables an efficient disk-based cache for playback. Legacy disables disk caching.

Does auto just basically cache the entire video onto the device as quickly as possible (essentially downloading it all at once off the NAS and playing it back off the device in real-time, then deleting it once the app is closed)? … versus legacy maintaining only a small buffer in device at any time (e.g. 100Mb) and constantly re-filling / topping it off by more constantly pulling off the NAS at shorter intervals ?

Here’s a post by @james that explains it. :wink: