Newbie help with updates

Hi.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

I purchased ATV Flash Black in October last year. I have avoided any updates because I didn’t want to mess things up after I got it working well.

I am now thinking of getting everything up to date.  My ATV2 is on version 4.3 and I notice that ATV Flash Black 1.5 is available.

aTV Flash (black) is in my download area on the Firecore site.

What else do I need to do to get everything up to date including the Apple TV version? I tried to update Apple TV from the Setting menu on the ATV but it said it was up to date already, even though the version is 4.3. Has the jailbreak stopped any updates from Apple coming through?

If someone could walk me through that would be awesome.

You can stick with the 4.3 AppleTV software and just re-run the aTV Flash (black) 1.5 installer to update to the latest 1.5 version.

If you want to update the AppleTV software itself, this can be done by running the latest version of Seas0nPass. However, keep in mind the current jailbreak for the latest 5.0 AppleTV software is ‘tethered’ which may or may not be suitable for your needs.

Thanks.

By tethered does that just mean it needs connecting to my Mac by mini USB in order to jailbreak? Like I did originally?

No. A tethered jailbreak means that any time you lose power or do a hard reset you have to connect to your PC/Mac via USB to complete the boot process.