Newbee Questions

Hi Guys,

Have recently purchased aTV Flash with the full lifetime upgrade option, so hopefully if it doesn’t do what I want it to today, then perhaps the good people here will sort out these features in the near future.

Anyway, I sucessfully created my flash drive, after a couple of duds with memory sticks that didn’t seem to work despite being reccommended on this forum, and got the software installed on my Apple TV last night (version 2.2).

On first impression, I have to say I was disappointed… My main reason for buying this package was to allow me to convert my DVD’s to digital copies (namely ISO’s and NOT divx) and access them from my server upstairs (Running Windows Vista Ultimate and iTunes 8 with 2TB of storage). I cannot seem to get access to my machine upstairs at all through the software provided. DVD -> Network comes up with an error message when attempting the connection (something about missing afp) MediaCloud also seems very difficult to use… you select it, then it simply displays a flame icon with “ROOT” next to it on the right hand side and you can’t do anything other than that… what’s that all about? My media drive on the Windows Vista machine (which MediaClouds website says is tested as working) is fully shared out and accessible so why doesn’t MediaCloud pick it up?

Also, quite annoyingly, niether XBMC or Boxee worked, they just came up with error messages.

Would really appreciate some help here guys… I fully appreciate and understand that you guys are just packaging all of these components together for us to save us loads of time, but some pointers and examples of what needs to be done here would be really appreciated… Getting access to my DVD ISO’s on my machine upstairs was my primary objective.

Regards,
Paul :wink:

To stream media from your Windows box you will want to setup a SMB share. We have a guide for this at the link below.

http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=NitoTV_Smart_Installer

As far as the xbmc situation, you really need to update xbmx and boxee before using them. You might have to start from scratch now to get everything working.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help, the SMB share is now working! :wink:

However, I now have a couple of other questions all relating to DVD/Movie files/playback.

I am new to a lot of this and so please excuse my ignorance in a couple of areas but I’ve obviously done a few things not quite right or not used the right software/tools to do certain things. I have a large DVD collection and my primary objective in getting aTVFlash was so that I could create digital (lossless) copies of my DVD movies (as I have loads of storage) and play them back through Apple TV. I have been experimenting with DVD ISO’s and so far have had no luck whatsoever. I firstly used ‘PowerISO’ to create an ISO of a DVD… this did not work :frowning: I also downloaded server other ISO’s from newsgroups that other people had created simply for testing and none of these worked either :frowning: Should I be using ISO’s? Nito mentions that perhaps using a VIDEO_TS folder is better… does anyone have any experience of this as I also copied the entire VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD onto the SMB share and that didn’t work either as the content (VOB’s) looked fuzzy and scrambled during playback… i’m guessing that perhaps there is a specific tool or bit of software that one should use to rip a DVD? What is the BEST way to rip a DVD without compressing any of the content? … I don’t want DIVX they take ages to create.

Also, I have some other questions regarding general playback and speed of the Apple TV and/or the speed of connecting equipment. For testing purposes I got hold of an h.264 encoded BluRay movie that was 1080p and the file was in an MKV container and was around 8G. The quality is superb when playing on my server upstairs. However, when accessing and playing the file through the Apple TV it played and the quality was just as good, but the playback was very stuttered and not smooth at all …definitely not watchable. The first thing I did was to turn off 802.11g on my wireless router and use 802.11n ONLY. Wierdly this improved performance notably, but not to a watchable state. This lead me to the assumption that Apple TV was selecting G over N when both were available which I found very odd, but anyway… I then turned off my wireless, rebooted Apple TV and ran an ethernet cable directly from the network into the back of the Apple TV. This provided the best performance so far, but both my router and the ethernet port on the Apple TV are 10/100BASE-T … I’m very confused about what is my BEST approach connectivity wise. My NAS storage device has Gigabit ethernet and USB 2.0. Should I upgrade my router so that it has Gigabit ethernet thus reducing the bottleneck, or should I simply try and connect the NAS drive to the Apple TV via USB 2.0 (which can transfer at 480M/bits sec… plenty for HD content)… or is there something else I need to be doing?

Thanks very much guys… I’m almost there… and loving it!!
Regards,
Paul :wink: