New iPad USB-C & External screen

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the new iPad with USB-C connector. If the iPad is connected to an external screen via an USB-C <=> HDMI cable, will it be possible to put the video from Infuse to the external screen or it will just mirror the screen of the iPad?

Thanks for your help!

When using an HDMI adapter, Infuse will be able to send the full resolution video to your screen.

One note. Output is currently limited to 1080p, and we’re looking at options for enabling 4K. Additionally, the upcoming Belkin adapter will (hopefully) allow us to support HDR output as well. Press Release Page

Hello James,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, it works fine with 1080p videos.

Additional question: Is it possible to force Infuse to play a video on the second screen and use another app on the iPad at the same time? When I try to do it, the iPad goes back to normal screen mirroring.

Thank you.

I think this is an iPad/iOS limitation.

Hello all,

So apparently the new Belkin USB-C to HDMI with 4K support is now available. Does anyone know if something similar will exist with an USB-C input port to charge the new iPad at the same time?

I don’t know why but my post was deleted. I backed yesterday the new HyperDrive on Kickstarter, they should deliver in January. I hope this gets properly supported by Infuse cause that’s the main reason I backed it.

Looks like it was flagged since it was your first post, and it had a link (it’s now back).

Also, the Belkin adapter was released this week (Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Apple) and ours should arrive later this week. Obviously, this doesn’t have the additional ports, but AFAIK, this is the only adapter that supports 4K@60Hz and HDR.

Still some work to do to allow Infuse to take advantage of the new options, and we hope to have more news soon.

Max resolution of 4k@30Hz makes me think its not HDMI2.0a compliant.

Infuse 5.9.2 allows for 4K HDR output when using the new Belkin HDMI adapter. :smiley:

We’re also looking into the possibility of automatic frame rate and dynamic range switching when using HDMI, as this seems like a new feature of the 2018 iPad Pros. In theory, this would also allow Infuse to support 4K output with other pre-HDMI 2.0a adapters since it would be sending 4K@24Hz instead of 4K@60Hz. HDR would still require an HDMI 2.0a or later adapter (like the Belkin).

There are also a few fixes for HDMI output coming in 5.9.3.

More updates to come. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing!

Hi,

Additional question: Does 4K HDR works with a native USB-C external monitor?

Thanks.

The iPad Pros will support HDR output, though whether this works will depend on the adapter, cable, and monitor you are using.

You can check the capabilities of your attached device via Settings > Display & Brightness > Device Name. (see attached)

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply so technically 4K HDR should be supported with a USB-C compatible cable + this screen:

It would help if you would give the brand and exact model number instead of an Amazon link. They will often change info and specs depending on the sellers input plus it makes it easier when you eliminate the step of dealing with amazon.

Hi,

The screen reference is: LG 27UK850-W (with embedded USB-C port).

Thanks.

The specs for that monitor show it’s a 10bit(8bit + A-FRC) panel…so it’s more like an HDR effect than actual HDR. I’m not sure if iOS would recognize this as an HDR capable monitor, or if the panel would enhance an SDR signal to make it appear like HDR.

To my knowledge there’s no connection between HDR (brightness to darkness ratio - high contrast) and color depth (number of colors possible to display). There have been 10bit and even 12bit displays long time before HDR was invented.

I don’t want this thread to get too far into the weeds, but you are right with regard to the strict sense of the term ‘HDR’.

However, ‘HDR video’ usually refers to HDR10 which means a combination of wide color (EG bt.2020) and higher luminance. In order for this to work, all devices in the pipeline need to support HDMI 2.0a (or better) which allows for 18.0 Gbit/s and the metadata required for HDR.

There are of course other variants (HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision) that include their own unique characteristics, but it’s generally ok to place these into the same ‘HDR video’ category.

5.9.3 with a number of improvements for HDMI output is now available on the App Store. :slight_smile:

1 Like