New direct mode for Emby, Jellyfin, and Plex

How do you typically choose the video you want to watch on the server today?

• I am currently using an Emby server with tens of thousands of well-categorized movies. And syncing it within the media library in Infuse is a pain in the ass. It takes so much time and experiences failures from time to time. I hope Infuse can support Emby like other applications (e.g., Emby or Fileball) so that it just works each time I add a new Emby server without the need for scanning the whole server.

Which search and content filtering features are most important for your convenience?

• Filter based on the rating score of movies. If possible, it’s wonderful to be able to choose the source of score.

Do you often use the Latest / Recently Added lists on the home screen?

• Not really. I personally prefer to use the filter, search, or recently watched list.

Which search and content filtering features are most important for your convenience?
Search multiple emby server simultaneously

• I manually navigate the Emby library and select what I want to watch. That’s part of why I chose an ATV and Infuse setup. The nav is easy and the interface pretty (enough).
  • Never used search before. The only filtering I use is ‘recently added’ but would like to have an alphabetical sort or filter that works with Emby.
  • Yes, very often we’re using latest / recently added.

I’ve personally supported this idea myself. If Infuse can separate the player functionality from the media library functionality that would work for me. I currently use Emby, but could do with Jellyfin as well.

1 Like

As much as I like this idea and see it working extremely well, I believe that there are som other glaring issues and bugs that should be sorted out first:

• Multiple Library Filters
  • Change collection artwork
  • UI Overhaul to match Apple’s new video playback software
  • Alphabet Indicator when scrolling
  • Overhaul the cast and crew to show more cast members and guest stars
  • Sorting out the subtitles so its easier to differentiate between downloaded subtitles
  • Add a custom sort order to collections

I feel like these things, and I’m sure there are more I missed, should have priority. I’ve placed in bold those which I personally want to see added sooner rather than later.

6 Likes

This is exciting news and as someone who has a fairly big library, would get me to use infuse again.

Most of my content is consumed directly from “continue watching” and I rarely use any filters, preferring to search for something to watch (search with intent).

Hope to see this implemented soon!!

3 Likes
  • How do you typically choose the video you want to watch on the server today?

Answer: I will add server resources to my favorites, and then click on my favorite series to enter and browse the episodes I am accustomed to; Alternatively, wait for the infuse library scan to complete and directly use the search function. It would be great if you could directly use the search function after adding the media library, or adding the search function to the resource library would also be convenient to use, greatly improving the experience.

• Which search and content filtering features are most important for your convenience?

Answer: I am a heavy user of Infuse and use it every day. I believe that the most important features are episode type, release time, resolution sorting function, film and television search function, meta information search function, and cover matching function.

• Do you often use the Latest / Recently Added lists on the home screen?

Answer: Yes, I usually check here to see if the content of my own movie library is updated and watch the latest movies and TV shows.

This is really exciting news and something I personally would love to see implemented.

I use Infuse connected to a very large Jellyfin server and currently it’s pretty unusable.

The changes you suggest would be an absolute game changer, would love to be involved when it’s ready for testing!

1 Like

To answer the questions:

1. I open Infuse, click files, open my Infuse server, choose Moves or Shows, find the show I want and play the episode I want
  2. I’m not using any search functions
  3. Never

It is great to see that the authors notice the users who love Emby, Jellyfin, and Plex.
I just list my answer for reference.

Well, it depends. When I want to see specific contents, like, a movie, a record, I will search it and
    play it directly. And if have no target, checking how the trend goes is a good idea. The popular
    ones will be a good choice. Since the current internet speed increases day by day, there is no need to store all the information from the server. It can be done like “lazy” loading in web browser.
    Otherwise, everyone scans the server one day. It like a DDOS to the server.
  • Which search and content filtering features are most important for your convenience?
    The server search is most important thing. For the filtering, I am not sure, movies, episodes, music?
    Or using the tags that are related to the videos.
    Yes, I usually check it everyday to see if there is fresh videos come out.

Current way of watching stuff

1. Open up Plex app on Apple TV → using the continue watching section or most the times using the recently added section. If it’s something else, I’m just using search.
  2. I don’t use content filtering, just using title of the show to search
  3. Yes, I’m using them all time, as mentioned in #1. But, it needs to be real-time, I don’t want to be waiting for seconds before it’s all updated.

Looking forward to this new feature! I’m really excited to use Infuse for everything I watch!

Hi, when I use plex as my media server, Infuse 7 can’t play one movie contains two files, just played first episode, then stopped, can’t detected the second episode and play. I hope you will update to support this feature soon.

1 Like

This is excellent news James, and the one feature that’s been at the top of my list since I started using Infuse and realized that a sync is always needed on startup. It was a departure from when I was using Kodi as front end to Emby which would automatically and quickly update using the amazing “Emby for Kodi” plugin.

I’ve since moved over to Jellyfin running on a Ubuntu server and use Infuse as the front end on Apple TV mostly. A few issues that I have now are that the Jellyfin libraries can’t be separated. So having “TV” and “Anime” in their own areas.

How do you typically choose the video you want to watch on the server today?

• If it’s a show that’s currently being watched, I’ll pick it from the latest/recently added area if they’re newly synced
  • If it’s an older show or movie, we will choose the TV or movie library and scroll down to the content. I never use search or filters
  • Sometimes we’ll want to view an older season or show and pick that from the latest/recently added, but from this area are unable to choose the season. This is still confusing to some members of the family as they don’t really understand why the seasons show in one place but not another. I understand that this functionality is being added though which I’m looking forward to :slight_smile:

• Not really used in our household

Do you often use the Latest / Recently Added lists on the home screen?

• All the time

Thanks again.

I dont see how this really solves anything, youre now just another layer on top of the other media center lol. The issue will still be plex will time out sending you back large data sets, the issue is “most” people with large libraries are using som etype of paid share/appbox/gdrive etc so the data is all remote to them and usually on shared infra. You would be better looking at a way for atleast “plex” to use webhooks or something to trigger when the media refreshes, or look to add a hook in to “autoscan” GitHub - Cloudbox/autoscan: Autoscan replaces the default Plex and Emby behaviour for picking up changes on the file system.. Almost every one who sells services use this. The real issues are mainly around “Plex”, emby/jelly with the plugin and large 300k+ libraries work fine from my experience, plex on the other hand due to one by one refresh of meta or whatever it never finishes for me and is basically unusable.

Some things like I want to see only DV movies, there is no filter for in Plex. Im never one to be like show me the “comedy” movies, I usually know what movie I want to watch, but if I have it in 4k, or 4k DV I want to know that so I can choose DV, currently with plex the only way to do this is to have a separate library for DV, I know emby in the past was like this also cant speak about recently. If you are running plex you are probably running PMM so collections etc are usually managed in plex. I have a collection called Pilots that shows me all the new season 1 episode 1 shows for the past N days, I dont care about whats been added recently it could be a show that from 20yr ago. People also make alot of use of watchlists for things they are interested in.

Ideally I would like to see my continued watching bar, when I click a tv/movie it will show/tell me I have N versions and maybe some quick info like 4k, hdr, dolby vision, atmos, of each file so I can be like oh okay this movie is is available in DV or if Im not on a DV device/tv I can watch it in 4k. This is something plex CANT do currently I just plays the file from the last played library.

This layer is exactly the same as Plex is using for their apps.

Just using the api to request data you need instead of indexing everything upfront.

So it is a big value imo!

4 Likes

You must be using some overloaded servers. Even with 80k+ movies & 20k+ shows (600k+ episodes), I have never seen the search take more than a few seconds, never mind timing out altogether. And this is with a server hosted on the opposite end of the world from me.

And the search API does have a way to limit results and allows pagination of the responses so large data sets will never be a concern either way.

1 Like

This would be a much needed addition. I have a fairly large database of content in Plex and it takes ages to sync in platforms such as tvOS.

I rely on my “Continue Watching” list, as well as Recently Added and pinned Smart Playlists of Unwatched Content.

Ability to filter by year, quality, and genre

All the time!

One other thing that bugs me with Infuse / Plex integration is the fact the Infuse, sticks all the non-Movie, non-TV Shows libraries in an “Other” category and mashes them all together.
On Plex I have several “Personal Media” libraries that need to be separate such as Old Greek Movies that I maintain their metadata, Old Cartoons, Reality TV Shows that I don’t want them polluting my TV-Shows etc.
It would be great if this direct-mode will allow for all those libraries to be treated as separate matching Plex.

3 Likes

It would be good to add at the same time the support skip intro (emby/jellyfin), cinema intro

3 Likes
  1. I typically find the movie I want to watch with the Plex app on my phone and then search for it using my voice inside Infuse once I’m ready to watch. I do this because Infuse lacks features for sorting my library.

2. I want to be able to sort all movies in my library by Release Date and scroll through them. Same with added date.

3. I use these on the Home Screen but it’s not enough.

1 Like
  1. Usually Continue Watching if it’s a series. Otherwise Search since I generally know what I want to watch when I launch Infuse. Sometimes I’ll browse collections.

2. Don’t need to filter as long as results are clearly labeled in case I search for something that has multiple versions… “Top Gun” in 1080p, 4k, 4k HDR, 4k Dolby Vision.

3. Yes, I usually scroll through just to see what’s been added lately, especially if I’m expecting a specific new piece of media to be available soon.

I volunteer as tribute to try this out if you need any testers…