New direct mode for Emby, Jellyfin, and Plex

(Updated)

1. How do you typically choose the video you want to watch on the server today?
  2. Which search and content filtering features are most important for your convenience?
  3. Do you often use the Latest / Recently Added lists on the home screen?

1 & 2: My friends and I rely very much on Plex’s Watchlist and various collection features to quickly get to and discover what we want to watch. As zZebrahz ponited out, there is a way to get Watchlist info from Plex. For collections, there are two areas that I hope Infuse can be more akin to Plex natively:

a) to be able to pin collections, especially smart ones as hubs in the home screen (Hubba Bubba — Introducing Custom Collections and Hubs | Plex );

and b) inline suggestions (Movies/Shows in collections with the same name in another library. It’s beginning to look a lot like Collections | Plex ). This in particular is essential to our browsing experience, and I have even set up a custom hierarchical guide system using that feature. (This is largely why we still use Plex’s own client instead of solely Infuse, even though I know it might be a lot to ask. But of course, if Infuse has its own proper nested collection, then all the better.)

In terms of Search behaviours, I’ve found that with Infuse’s current implementation it’s unable to search original titles in Plex. That’s of course relatively simple to workaround. I just use a script to copy original title to sort title field. Also in Infuse a search string must match entire words only, but in Plex they can be fuzzy and broken in the middle. (I don’t know if I express this well.) To me that’s more important an issue than original title, because there’s no easy fix for that. I’d have to put all possible spellings and combination of words in the sort title field if I want Search to work reliably.

3: Recently Added view is useful when the whole library is small and items are added one at a time. But with my current library size and batch addition, it’s not really helpful. That is, I don’t want myself and my users to see hundreds of new items in most of which they won’t be interested, but to highlight a few among those newly added/released.

1 Like

Is there an ETA for when we can expect this direct mode feature on the App store version?

That reply is from last week. Perhaps not the most up-to-date info?

Direct access to the Plex backend, etc. implies that infuse will bypass the Plex cataloger to use its own ?

well last week isn’t that long ago if you’re implementing a new feature is it?

here you can see the feature:

And it’s current status is “in progress”. If everything goes well and beta testing is fine maybe September/October sometime

1 Like

James please release the first preview version, I can’t wait to try the new version of infuse!

I don’t think I said the feature should be launched because it’s been a week since the last update.

Usually, developers have a weekly sprint cycle and work with a deadline so I was just wondering if there’s been an update on the ETA for the feature. That’s all.

If you were that desperate to try it you would join the beta.

1 Like

I did on Monday, just waiting for the Friday Test Flight invites to go out!

Yeah, my reply wasn’t aimed at you.
That said the invites normally go out the same day as the latest beta gets released…Normally a few hours later.

1 Like

Any plans to add the “Next Up” section that you can put on the Jellyfin homepage? Similar to the “On Deck” widget you can use in Infuse

It’s very very useful.

i hope this means it will use plex’s metadata instead of its own even when ive download a few eps to my devices and no longer connected directly to my plex server because plex and infuse metadata doesnt match on quite alot of my movies and shows so that would help alot because of done with having to use both infuse and plex app i would prefer to soley use infuse its way better and atleast i can download all my movies and show to it without unknown errors popping up all the time like they do on plex app

With these changes, do you think you can include the transcoding api of plex to use the plex transcoder with infuse

sigh…this thing is taking forever to be released. The turnaround time to get this patched is in limbo. Did they forget that some people are paying a monthly fee for this app??? This issue breaks the purpose of this program if it can’t serve its purpose as a media manager and save metadata properly?? Ridiculous that they are sitting on their fingers instead of trying to get this out asap. 12k views and 187 posts and they are doing nothing to patch this up

what are you even talking about? This is a new feature, not an issue.

3 Likes

Now, back to the on track thread.

6 Likes

I always liked infuse because I know it wouldn’t transcode…

If they add this then I’d like to see a “don’t transcode” option… or some flag so that we know it is.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Welcome! Here’s how to access TestFlight

Have there been no betas since that post? I still haven’t received my invite :confused: