Network remote control of AppleTV (Mac/PC)

Considering that Apple’s “Remote” app for iOS can control my AppleTV over WiFi… and I’ve got MacOS apps to control my TiVo, and my Roku… I would love to see a similar app for my AppleTV.  Basically, a virtual remote control on my laptop’s screen, that works over my network, instead of infared.  With up, down, right, left, select, menu, and play/pause buttons.  Surely there’s a way to do this?   Is there any other forum where this sort of development can be discussed?

i think this i possible with Remote HD.

its not the fastest (especially if the “vnc” mode is on) but its ok for 2011 :slight_smile:

Yes, of course, but Remote HD is an iOS app, for the iPad.  As my post and post title indicate, I want to do this on my Mac (or PC.) Since there’s obviously a VNC client running on the AppleTV, I want to use a VNC client on my computer to connect to it.  If my iPad can do it, why can’t my MacBook Pro?  Heck, I’m not even asking for screensharing necessarily.  I just want remote control.

sorry, i have overread that,

but i did managed to install VNC on my mac and connected to my atv2 to “see” what happended on my atv2. but it was not funny. the slowest and laggy connection i’ve ever had. i could remote control my atv2 with VNC, but only if i accept to sit for 10 minutes in front of my mac to wait for the keystroke(s) to happen on the atv2… e-v-e-r-y–k-e-y-s-t-r-o-k-e---- really not funny.

that was some months ago, but i tested it before a week and it wasnt better then.

bad.

I found something that’s working pretty well for me in the meantime.

(unofficial)  AirVideoClient for Mac

All versions available for download here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6713110/MacAirVideoClient/Download/MacAirVideoClient.xml

Built into the UI are Stop - Pause - Resume - Rewind - Fast Forward commands. Seems to be working pretty well for me.  Coupled with Air Video server, this thing can also send video files to the AppleTV that aren’t AppleTV compatible.  (like AVIs, MKVs, etc.)

No jailbreak required.

I’m a little late on this, but I use RowMote to control my Apple TVs and multiple Macs.  It can be found in the App Store for a couple of bucks and it works very well and there is a 3rd party app for aTV Flash.  There is a client that runs on your Mac, available for free in the Apple App Store, if you want to control it as well.  I use it to start iTunes if I want to stream from the Mac to ATV.