Need help with Yamaha receiver and Dolby Vision

I was excited when it became known that the Apple TV 4K would support HDR, including Dolby Vision. That was one of the main reasons I went to the purchase of a new TV and receiver after the summer. Now I have the following setup:

• Apple TV 4K
  • Yamaha RX-A3070 (2017 top model)
  • LG OLED65B7V (2017 European version)

When I set up the Apple TV 4K everything looked right except one thing: Dolby Vision option was missing. However, HDR option was there.
This was disappointing as the RX-A3070 specifications states clearly that Dolby Vision is supported, quote: “4K Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2 support, HDR Video including Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma, and BT.2020”.

I was initially unsure if the latest firmware was installed on the Yamaha. It turned out it was. The next thing I tried was to investigate if there are any settings that must be tweaked, but no luck. My HDMI cables are of the highest quality so they are not the problem.

When I connect the Apple TV directly to the TV, Dolby Vision immediately shows up as an option. Thus, everything works, except the Yamaha passthru.
After having googled a lot on various AV forums and the like (Yamaha sites are lacking information), there seems to be a lot of confusion about this. Despite the fact that Yamaha has clearly established in the specifications that Dolby Vision is supported, I found several threads where it was claimed that support is not currently there, but will come in a future firmware update.

Yamaha sent a press release this spring which stated that selected 2016 models would get Dolby Vision through firmware update soon. According to owners of these models, this update has not yet come. 2017 models, which were not yet released at the time of the press release, were not mentioned. I thought the 2017 models would have support out of the box.

Furthermore, I’ve seen sources claiming to quote Yamaha on that 2017 models also need a firmware update to support Dolby Vision. One message mentioned “in the fall” as ETA, while another mentioned “by the end of the year”.

Anyway, I’m disappointed with Yamaha because of the misleading marketing. But if I find that there is an update that will fix this later this year, I can at least avoid further frustrating investigation.

Are there anyone here who can confirm, or most possibly reject, that Yamaha’s 2017 models currently do support Dolby Vision? Or may I look for other sources of error?
All good knowledge and suggestions are highly appreciated.

It definitely doesn’t support Dolby Vision yet. Mine doesn’t either (Denon receiver and they said beginning of 2018 I’d get it), so I feel your pain. The only workaround would be plugging the Apple TV up to your OLED and then using ARC from the OLED to your receiver, but you lose lossless audio and anything higher than 5.1. I’d miss my audio more than Dolby Vision, so I’m waiting for the receiver to get updated.

Just to round this one out Yamaha released the 2017 model updates to add Dolby Vision as a late Christmas present. I’ve updated my RX-V383 and it now has Dolby Vision :slight_smile: Here is the announcement on the AU site: https://au.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2017/20171220_DolbyVision_HLG.html

There are no files out in the wild that even has Dolby Vision meta data. Makemkv currently cant place Dolby Vision meta-data in a mkv container. If folks are using something else, I still have not seen a content with Dolby Vision meta-data, its apparently a separate video track in a MKV

Yes, I know. Everything is fine with Yamaha and Dolby Vision now :slight_smile:

“There are no files out in the wild that even has Dolby Vision meta data. Makemkv currently cant place Dolby Vision meta-data in a mkv container. If folks are using something else, I still have not seen a content with Dolby Vision meta-data, its apparently a separate video track in a MKV”

Not true. A 4k UHD bluray ripped to directory structure instead of MKV does retain all aspects of the disc, including Dolby Vision.

That being said, I have a Dobly Vision TV, Infuse and Apple TV which are Dolby Vision, but I don’t have any Dolby Vision discs (minions, etc) to test. Also, I only have discs I own that I’ve ripped to HD, and not to mention the fact that not all discs are able to be backed up, so not sure any Dolby Vision discs are on the list.

I take that back. Kick-Ass is Dolby Vision according to a list I just saw, and I happened to have that one backed up. I will test now.

Weird thing is Atomic Blonde is on that list, also. Why? That movie is completely washed out. Would it even benefit?

Nevermind, apparently this is all fruitless. Unbeknownst to me, but the Apple TV does not support 4k Dolby Vision. At least it’s not listed in my optional modes. I only get an option for 1080p Dolby Vision. Maybe it’s coming eventually, and this would explain why movies aren’t 4K in Vudu, as most of them are Dolby Vision.

Thats correct. No support yet, but its coming.

Well, I went into further options and could choose Dolby Vision 4K at 30hz or 24hz but not 60hz. Checking that now.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Even with a directory structure perfect backup, I cannot get Dolby Vision files to play in Infuse even straight to the TV. I’ve tried Dolby Vision 4k 24hz and 30hz. I don’t have an option for 60hz though my TV supports it, so guess Apple doesn’t yet allow Infuse to play those files.

It’s not a deal breaker by any means, but it looks like Dolby Vision is wonky right now.

Apple TV 4K no doubt support 4K Dolby Vision. Both iTunes and Netflix got lots of Dolby Vision content in 4K. But of course your TV (and receiver if you use that) must support it.

Apple TV 4K no doubt support 4K Dolby Vision. Both iTunes and Netflix got lots of Dolby Vision content in 4K. But of course your TV (and receiver if you use that) must support it.

Any suggestions on how to get Dolby Vision files to play in Infuse, then?

I don’t think Infuse support Dolby Vision yet.