Need Help With Subtitles

It’s been a while since I’ve posted. What exactly are the differences between embedded subtitles and subtitles from subscene or opensubtitles.

Embedded subs are actually in the video file, while the subs from opensubtitles is a seperate file.

Okay thanks. So if I choose to embed in the video file during a rip this will take an awful amount of time correct?

Not a clue, I’ll leave that to those that have done it before. :wink:

1 Like

That would be great if another member would offer insight. It’s frustrating not to be able to correctly adjust the timing on a majority of my rips. I understand the subtitle file could be at a different frame rate and not possible to lock down. And as far as being able to rip/burn subs in with handbrake this is where I tried it once and it would have taken over 10 hours. Is there something I’m doing wrong.

The burn-in option is only really useful for players that don’t support subtitles. Infuse can handle “embedded” subtitles (just a regular subtitle file embedded as metadata) or external files. I prefer the latter option, because it allows you to replace or correct them without remuxing the entire file. Burned-in subs would require a full re-encode from the source.

The software “Subtitle Edit” offers tons of options to correct common errors and timing issues.

2 Likes

I was going to, but then I saw @FlavioT hit each and every point I was going to make.

The only possible reason to burn in titles would be to “force” foreign language subs while still using a standard sub track (such as SDH subs) for the English parts, if players don’t support displaying two sub tracks at the same time — but here’s the thing. If you use external subs, and you download an “English” sub or “SDH” sub that doesn’t have the “Forced” subs included in it … and you have .srt subtitle files … just open them in a text editor (such as notepad.exe on Windows), copy the contents of the Forced sub, and paste them into the larger subtitle file. I just stick them at the end but it doesn’t matter — nor do you need to worry about the line numbers or inserting the subs in chronological order. Players read the entire subtitle file on import, and will play all the subtitles listed at the times indicated, whether they are listed in order or not, or if line numbers are duplicated or not. Easy peasy.

1 Like

What is the learning curve with Subtitle Edit(SE), pretty simple? My main concern is having to use a program like Handbrake to add subs which is painfully slow. For example I have two movies, Mile 22 and Greenland which I cant get the subs to match the dialog. How long would it take once I learn how to use SE.

Thank you both

It’s simple enough. Just do some trial and error to figure out the delay. Use a media player (VLC, MPC-HC) that lets you easily adjust the sub delay on the fly and figure out what you need. Then Subtitle Edit can change all the timings accordingly.

Or, you can often find a different copy of the subtitle at SubScene or OpenSubtitle that has the timings adjusted already.