MP4/M4V files accessed via DLNA are always treated at movies and not TV

I ripped a number of TV show DVDs to .m4v files for iTunes and now I’ve stored them on a DLNA server and am trying to access them using Infuse instead. The files are being interpreted as movies and matched with random titles in the database that match part of the file names.

I read the Infuse Metadata 101 article and tried several different filename conventions but wasn’t able to get the files to be recognized as TV episodes. I then tried remuxing a file to an MKV instead, and that worked first time (with an identical filename except for the extension) so it appears that there’s some difference in how MP4/M4V and MKV files are interpreted by Infuse.

I also tried adding the .m4v directly to the Infuse library and it was then recognised correctly, so it appears that this problem only happens when accessing the files remotely (I didn’t try accessing over SMB).

For a concrete example, I made A and B folders and put the following files on my server:
A/Flight of the Conchords S01E01 Sally.m4v
B/Flight of the Conchords S01E01 Sally.mkv

The second file is remuxed from the first using MKVToolNix GUI v30.1.0 with default options. The first file is interpreted as a movie and matches as “When Harry Met Sally” and if I try to edit the match I can change it to other movies, but not TV shows. The second file is correctly interpreted as the TV episode and gets the correct metadata for it.

I’m happy to upload example files if they’d be helpful.

Thanks very much!

The problem is usually that some DNLA servers change the names of the files actually sent to Infuse, so Infuse doesn’t recognise them as TV episodes.because the names no longer contain the necessary information.

And even worse the server will often reuse the names of previously used file names.

You can check out by using the ‘Edit Metadata’ option on a problem episode and I should show the name of the file that the DNLA server has decidered to give the file.

Unfortunately the solution is to use a different connection method.

1 Like

Ah yes, that appears to be the problem. My file above is showing up as “Sally.mp4”, so it looks like the DLNA server is looking at the metadata in the file itself and trying to be overly clever. Thanks very much for your help.